• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 cmellington

cmellington

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

Was this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem and have tried all the post instructions. The green check mark will not appear in the box.

#22 cmellington

cmellington

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

Ok. Finally got it after removing all the media linked to person, rather than fact, and then adding it back by clicking in image column. Looks like there's a sharing issue. It should have linked even if used by another fact.

#23 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

I don't think the problem has been resolved. Maybe open a ticket and submit your database?

Jerry

#24 genealojist

genealojist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

Hello,

I am also a new RM user / previous FTM user, and I appreciate the frustration expressed by the New User in this post as I have just spent an hour trying to link a media item to a fact to no avail.  I think what I am realizing is that the media available in the Media Album for a particular person are attached only to that person, and one may not select from that person's Media Album to also link to a fact for that person?  When I watched Jerry's nice video (thanks for doing that, btw), I get the idea that I'm supposed to go out to my RM Pictures directory and search among 8000 items for one of the 10 items that is already attached to the person (by virtue of an import)?  Really?  My goodness - why is this so difficult?

In any case, can somebody just confirm that I understand this correctly?  There is a Media Album for a person but images in that Album cannot also be attached to a fact for that person unless one goes to a hard-drive directory or the Gigantic Media Gallery that takes 15-20 seconds to open in order to locate an image with a name like "Pennsylvania Wills and Probate Records 16831993.jpg"? 

Maybe I'm missing something? 

thanks.

#25 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

I have a lot of media linked to my database. A very few are linked to a Master Source, many are linked to a Source Citation, and almost all are attached to either the Person or Fact/Event. Some are attached to 2 or 3 (citation, person, fact).

I have almost never used the full Media Gallery, because with over 19K multimedia files, it just takes longer to use the Media Gallery. Instead, my routine is to ALWAYS use Add New Media. I've never seen a problem with that approach. Nearly always I click in the media column for person or fact to add the media, and take the opportunity to add a Description and Caption the first time I link/tag an image.

If I'm expecting to tag the image to multiple people (common) or events (rarely), I hit Ctrl+C on the file name in the Windows dialog. When I next click Add New Media, RM automatically opens my most recent folder, so when I hit Ctrl+V to paste the file name, there is no problem finding & linking it.

One of the things I keep an eye on is the list of locations where the image is linked. See screen capture below:

Nfz2wL3.png

#26 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Open the person's Media Album like in the image above. Click on the image you want to attach a media tag elsewhere. Click on the button "Tag Media". It will open up a new media tag where you can select the tag type which include: Person, Family, Event, Source, Source Citation, Place, Place Details, and Name. 

So the media tag from any location can be added as another media tag in any other location. In this case you are going to want to select "Event" and then it lets you select your person and the fact to add it to. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#27 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Alternatively open Media Gallery and type "Pennsylvania Wills and Probate Records" in the seearch box then select from a smaller list.

Unchecking "Build thumbnails when opening Media Gallery" in Tool > Program Options > General will allow Media Gallery to open more quickly.

Note to Renee, really there should be a button in Media Gallery to refresh the thumbnails when the user does wish to do so, or am I missing something.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#28 genealojist

genealojist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

To Renee -

AAAHHHH - that's what I was looking for!  I was ready to dump RM over this frustration (Family History Mady Easy?) - so I'm glad I decided to ask.

Thanks.

#29 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

I don't understand the issue. Media can be linked to a person. It can also be linked to a source citation. In most cases, this is where you want  and image of a document to go. I could see linking photos to specific events (e.g. marriage, graduation, 100th Birthday, etc). Just never seen the need.

#30 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

I don't understand the issue. Media can be linked to a person. It can also be linked to a source citation. In most cases, this is where you want  and image of a document to go. I could see linking photos to specific events (e.g. marriage, graduation, 100th Birthday, etc). Just never seen the need.

I still link documents which support events to events, the reason being I have an indication on the Edit Person screen of the existence of that media. I believe that scans of documents etc should logically be with the source but from the Edit Person screen I can not see that such media is available for further examination.

7.0.9.0 - 17 December 2015

• New: A person's media album now displays media attached to citations belonging to the person

I believe the enhancement above was possibly aimed at addressing that need, even if there were no media ticks alongside events a red dot on the Media tab to show Source Media existed for examination would at least show clicking the Media tab was worthwhile. I believe such "red dots" for indication existed in RM3 and got forgotten in the re-write, whilst off subject Address, To-Do and Research Manager tabs also require this indication, a bracketed number like the Webtags tab has would be preferable to me.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#31 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:42 AM

IT  does not work for me either,

following  the Webinar way which I had always done before, the image was in the Gallery, with the tags added.  Would not go to the burial fact.   NO green check marks, :(

it was done from the burial fact to  add media adding new to the gallery. Media Tag added which was for two people. NO green check mark except in the gallery :(

Redid the above two ways more than once and it still does not work.  :huh:  

Do not like that I could not while in the gallery, remove media Tags.  Had to re add the jpg picture. To get it down to 1 media Tag.  NO Green Check Mark :wacko:

IF This is a problem which is stated above that there is a bug               PLEASE FIX it   <_<

Walked thru both Laura's and Jerry's suggestion also.  Still did not work.  :o

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0