• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

When I create or edit a fact, there is no add media button on the edit person screen.  On the right side of the screen in the details section, I see the add note, sources, and share buttons.  But there is no add media button.  (I checked the online tutorial, and it shows the add media button there, so I know I'm looking in the right place.)  If I double-click the blank box in the media column for a particular fact, it opens a dialog box to add media to the fact.  But after I add it, and close the box, it's gone.  I can add media to the media album, but not to an individual fact.  What am I doing wrong?  :unsure:

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

-Press F1 (RootsMagic Help)

-Click the Search tab

-Type the search terms -> tag media

-Double-click the topic(s) returned from the search

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

Thank you for responding.  However, none of the 5 help topics really address my situation.  For instance, in the topic “Working with Media” it says:

“When you click the Media button on the Edit Person screen, RootsMagic will display all media which has been tagged with that person (general, event, and family media).  You can choose to filter that display to only include media for a single event by selecting the event from the drop list above the thumbnails.  As a shortcut, if you click the media box (with the green checkmark) next to an event, RootsMagic will automatically set that filter for the media album when it opens.”

On the right side of the Edit Person screen, I have a Notes button, a Sources button, and a Share button.  But there is no Media button.

If I click the media box next to an event, the add media screen appears and I can go through all the steps to add media.  But when I'm finished and close the screen, nothing is added to the Edit Person screen, i.e. no green checkmark.  If I go to the pull-down menu and select a fact, no media opens. 

Has anyone else experience anything like this?  I'm new to RootsMagic, but I'm not new to computers nor genealogy.  I've been doing desktop publishing for more than 20 years, and used TMG for more than a decade.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:14 AM

The Media button on the Edit Person screen is more like a tab. It's at the top of the screen up where you have "Add a fact" and "Delete fact". It's the fifth tab from the left.

I have to admit I had to look for it just for a second before I found it because I never use it. I always just click in the Media column instead -- the column with the camera icon at the top of the column. But I see that the Media tab has the advantage of showing all the media together for the person, all in one place.

Jerry

#5 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

Yes, Jerry, I see the tab and I use it to add media to the Media Album.  Where I’m having trouble is adding it to an event.  You described how you click in the media column to add media.  When I do it, it doesn’t work.  An alternate method of adding media to an event (according to the help topics and the on-line tutorials) is to click the add Media button on the right side of the screen.  But when I open the Edit Person screen, there’s no Add Media button!

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

Though created several versions ago, this video is still pretty helpful for visualizing the process

http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

30. New Media Tagging in RootsMagic 5

Direct link: http://www.rootsmagi...otsMagic-5.aspx

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

Kevin posted a link to one of the RM videos, and that is probably your best bet. But I'll try to provide a little additional narrative anyway.

There are two ways to add media in RM. Let' call them the old way, and the new way. And if you are new to RM, then they are both new ways.  :)

Adding media from the Edit Person screen is the old way. Let's say you want to add media to the death fact - for example, an image of a death certificate. So go down to the death fact you have already added and click on the column under the little camera icon. The screen that will come up is a Media Album screen, and in this case it is the media album for the death fact. There are a series of tabs at the top of the screen. Click on the first one on the left, the one that says Add new media. You use the same procedure for any of the facts, and you also use the same approach for the individual. To add a portrait of the person, click next to the person's name in the column under the little camera icon.

That should help get you started.

Jerry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

The Media button used to be on the right of the fact on the Edit Person screen prior to RootsMagic 5. Once we added MediaTags the button was removed. Either click on the Media button at the top of the Edit Person screen and select which fact you want to add it to or click in the column row for the fact media and it will automatically open to that section for adding the media.  Watch webinar #30 as kbens0n suggested.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

The Media button used to be on the right of the fact on the Edit Person screen prior to RootsMagic 5. Once we added MediaTags the button was removed. Either click on the Media button at the top of the Edit Person screen and select which fact you want to add it to or click in the column row for the fact media and it will automatically open to that section for adding the media.  Watch webinar #30 as kbens0n suggested.

Aha! That button that used to be there and that was removed in RM5 must be what is being talked about.

There still are buttons on the lower right hand side of the Edit Person screen for Note, Sources, and Share. There is also a place (not really a button) on the lower right hand side of the screen for Customize Sentence. So that's where the Media button was before it was removed.

It's funny that I know those buttons are there but I almost never use them I almost always click on the columns instead - the columns where the green check marks are. So I never noticed that the Media button was removed.

For the sake of consistency, I don't think the media button should have been removed. I suspect RM's thinking was that everybody would switch over exclusively to using the new tagging mechanism for media. The new tagging mechanism for media is nice, but the old way of linking in media is still really useful. And indeed, for things like linking media to master sources, the old way of linking in media is much easier and is much more natural to the workflow of entering sourcing information than is the new tagging mechanism.

Jerry

#10 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

Thank you, everyone for your recommendations.  I understand now that the add Media button is a thing of the past.  However, I have watched webinar # 30, and I have tried each technique to add media, but it does not add it to the person’s page.  So, I’m sure I’m following the correct procedure, but for some reason I am not getting the right results. 

Is there a setting that would block attaching an image to an event?

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Go to Help, Working with people.

Look at the snapshot of the Edit person screen in that article.

In the left pane, the last 3 columns to the right of the left pane are the Note, Source and Media columns.

The Note column label is the Note icon. Clicking in this column for the fact brings up the Note screen.

The Source column label is the Source icon. Clicking in this column for the fact brings up the Source Citation Manager.

The Media column is the Media icon. Clicking in this column for the fact brings up the Media Album.

Click in the Media column box for the fact and add the media.

This tags that media to that fact for that person.

Once a media is tagged to that fact for that person, a green check mark will show in the Media column on the Edit person screen.

The same columns are the last 3 columns in the left pane of the Timeline view.

#12 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

Click in the Media column box for the fact and add the media.

This tags that media to that fact for that person.

Once a media is tagged to that fact for that person, a green check mark will show in the Media column on the Edit person screen.

Laura, I know that's how it is SUPPOSED to work.  But it does not for me.  Believe me,  I have tried numerous times to add media by this method, by clicking on the media tab at the top of the page and then selecting the event from the drop-down menu.  I have tried to add media as a general setting and to a specific event.  The ONLY way I have succeeded was when adding a photo as the primary image.  That's why I am wondering if it isn't some setting that needs to be changed.

I have over 1,400 images of photos and documents that I am migrating from The Master Genealogist.  One of the weakest functions of TMG was the Exhibit Log.  RootsMagic is light years ahead -- IF I CAN GET IT TO WORK!

Thank you for trying to help.

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

Please take a deep breath and take the time to actually read my post. I said nothing about opening the Media tab at the top of the Edit person screen.

Look at the picture of the Edit person screen in that article in Help. See the little Green arrows in the Note and Source columns in the left pane just before the verticle line that divides the left pane from the right pane.

Open a Edit person screen and move over to the next column box to the right past the Note and Source columns and click on it to open the fact's Media Album screen. Add your media to that Media Album using either Add new media if the media hasn't been linked to RootsMagic before or Add from gallery if the media has been linked to RootsMagic already.

To use the Media tab at the top of the Edit person screen:

Add your fact to the Edit person screen.

Open the Media tab at the top of the Edit person screen.

Open the dropdown menu to the right of the search box.

Choose the fact you wish to link the media to.

Choose Add new media or Add from gallery.

The media will be tagged to that fact.

Click on OK to go back to the main Edit person screen, to see the Green check mark in the Media column.

To add pdf, text files, etc., choose File from the Media type dropdown menu when adding new media. Choose Sound for audio files and Video for video files. Choose Image for photo files.

When you click on a media linked using File, Sound or Video, the file will be opened by the appropriate third party program.

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

I made a two minute screencast of how it works to add media. I said "green arrow" a couple of times during the Webcast when I meant to say "green check mark", but I decided that was a small enough error that it didn't merit recording the Webcast again.

http://screencast.com/t/khdbOgGJP8

Jerry

#15 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

Thank you to everyone for your help, especially Jerry who made a video.  However, the problem had nothing to do with what I was doing.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do a lot of desktop publishing.  Apparently, my publishing software (Adobe Creative Cloud) was running in the background and interfering with images being attached to an event.  So now my genealogy is on my laptop and Adobe is on my desktop.  Problem solved.  Thank you again.

#16 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

"It's baaack."

I thought I had solved the problem by closing Adobe Creative Cloud so I could work on my desktop.  (I hate my laptop.)  RootsMagic seemed to be working okay.  But now it isn't allowing me to attach images to events anymore.  But I took a cue from Jerry and make a video of what I'm doing.  Please watch it and tell me what you see I'm doing wrong.

http://somup.com/co1t3hIky

#17 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

Paste is popping up on the screen.  You are copying just the file name and pasting it in the File name box?  Is that file even in the same folder with the files shown?

Do this:
Highlight the file you want to link in the file list.
The file name appears in the File name box.
Click on open.

RM saves the path to the file.  Without the full path, RM doesn't know where to find the file.

#18 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

In my tests, if I paste a file name that is not in the folder that I'm in, I get an error message instead of just the nothing that you are getting. But I'm with Laura in that I'm not persuaded that the file is in your folder. So I would heartily endorse her recommendation to try it by selecting the file from the file list instead pasting the file name. Pasting the file name should certainly work, so this is just a diagnostic test and is not saying there is inherently anything wrong with pasting the file name.

Indeed, I always paste the file name as well, and I never have a problem. But the file name I paste is the completely qualified file name starting with the drive letter. That may sound like a pain, and I'm probably the only person in the world that does it that way. But I use a disk manager called Agent Ransack. My file manager makes it really easy to find files no matter where they are and to copy and paste the completely qualified file name. That means that I don't have to do any hunting around at all from within RM to find the right file and the right folder. And even if I were doing it without Agent Ransack, I would always change the File-->Open dialog that comes up to show the Detail View rather than the Icon View. Again, I'm probably the only person in the world that does it that way. But with the Icon View I can see many more files on the screen, it's easier to see the file name which is much more meaningful to me than the thumbnail, and I can easily sort by name, date, etc. just by clicking the appropriate column.

Finally, are you using RM on a PC or on a Mac? I've been coming at this from the perspective of a PC, and I don't know in what subtle ways the File->Open dialog in RM might manifest itself differently on a Mac.

Jerry

#19 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Aha! I can replicate the problem. But the replication is not quite as repeatable as I would like.

To start with, I thought the problem had to do with doing an "Add new media" instead of an "Add from gallery" when the file was already in the gallery. And indeed that may be "a" problem, even if it might not be "the" problem. It's sort of a user error to "Add new media" if the file is already in the gallery. But RM does not identify the error at all. And it should. Indeed, the more I think about it, the more awkward this situation is. If I have many hundreds or even thousands of files, how am I supposed to know easily which are in the gallery and which aren't, and should I be expected to check every time?

But once I got past that problem, I did some further testing just doing an "Add from gallery". Even here, sometimes it fails exactly as described by Mijul. It seems to fail only when the same media has already been tagged to another item (person or another fact) for the same person. But the problem is not quite as repeatable as I would like. It's like some sort of bug was introduced into RM when tagging support was added, and the bug affects adding media when you do it the old way.

Jerry

#20 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:35 PM

This is beginning to be remindful of another Add Media problem that I have encountered very regularly for a very long time. I have not reported it and I have mostly just ignored it because there are no negative consequences that are lasting. But let me put it on the table anyway.

The problem occurs when I'm adding a new Master Source, which I do a lot of. And when I add a new Master Source, I always attach media to it with "Add new media" and it's always a new file that's not already in the media gallery. It seems much more natural to add the new media that way than going first into Lists->Media Gallery, adding the media, and tagging it to my new Master Source.

Immediately after adding the new media and before hitting an OK or anything, the wrong file shows up in the little media album for the Master Source. It's the only file in the album, and it's the wrong file. It's a file that was already in the main Media Gallery. But then I ignore the problem and hit OK to close the little media album for the Master Source. Then immediately I click the green check mark to reopen the little media album for the Master Source. This time, the correct file is there. That's why I haven't reported the problem. And it's not repeatable. It's not a problem every time. It's only some of the time. And when it's the wrong file, closing and re-opening the album fixes it. No harm, no foul.

Jerry