Entering Census info in all family members at once

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Holly_*

Guest_Holly_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

I am wondering if there is a way to enter all the basic info, for example, from a census in a families information and only enter it once and it will show up in the parents and kids information? I am tired of entering the basic info and the source in sometimes 20 family membersjavascript:javascript:emoticon(':(')
smilie

please help!

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

There are two kinds of Census facts:

1. Individual Census Fact, where you assign the fact to an individual. There are 10 members of the family, then you will need to assign this same fact to each individual. There is no way of taking a shortcut through assigning it to all members all at once.

2. Census (Family) fact. This fact gets assigned to both the mother and father of the family at once by simply editing the husband and add the Census (Family) fact to him. His wife will also receive the same fact automatically. However, this same family fact is NOT automatically assigned to the children.

When you add a Census (Family) fact to the parents, their narrative report will read "They appeared in the 1880 Census at <location>.

Some RM users have suggested the following enhancement: "a little check box to popup saying who do you want to include in this census (family) fact? then you could select the ones who qualified. It makes putting in the data for a family a lot smoother."

But the trouble is, if you were to extend this family fact to the children, then when they show up in a narrative report with their own family, then the same family fact will appearwith the child and his spouse as "They appeared in the 1880 Census at <location>".

This statement would be true of the child but NOT his wife because she was not a member of his family in 1880 when he was living with his parents!

Also, the census fact (whether individual or family) should not be automatically assigned to all children because there is no guarantee that all the children were actually present at the time of the census. They could have been off at boarding school somewhere or living with a relative, or living on site at a job over in the next county. There is no telling. Or they might have been born AFTER the 1880 census, so obviously that child wasn't really present at the time of the census.

#3 Guest_Holly_*

Guest_Holly_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

Thank you very much for your answer. It would be very nice to have the option of putting it on each person with the click of a button.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:30 PM

You could export a GEDCOM of the family you want to add a source to.

Re-import that GEDCOM file and add a source as you import the GEDCOM file.

The source can be added to the person, as a general source, or to each fact or both.
Then, you have to do the Share merge, repository and source merge.

If you only want the source added to the census fact only, you could create a special database that only exports the census facts, import the GEDCOM into that then export it again and import it back into the main database.
Here you would probably only have to do the share merge.

But, I don't think that this is going to be much easier than memorizing and pasting the source to everyone's census fact.
Alfred

#5 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

With the wealth of census data now available, and the everyname indices linked to census images, Holly's question is very important. She wishes for a way to quickly enter repetitive census information (census date and location) for each individual in a family. In FTM, the combination of FastFacts and the new family view in FTM 2005 makes this a snap. Without toggling from one individual to another, or changing your view, you simply enter the census data for both parents and all children - and the location is pre-filled for you as a FastFact.

Beyond that issue, the Gedcom structure could be enhanced with the concept of a household. It would be analogous to a Family - but would contain parents, children, sometimes grandparents, cousins, lodgers and other hangers-on. And, just as we have Family Data, we would have household data - that wouldn't have to be re-entered for every member of the household.

And, if we can dream of such a thing, there could be a pointer to the census image database (perhaps at Ancestry.Com), so that with one click you could view the actual census page from which the census data has been extracted.

#6 Guest_Jerry_*

Guest_Jerry_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

When using Ancestry.com, I can save a copy of the census image to my computer which I then link as an image to the census event. I can quickly look at the image without having to search thru Ancestry.com for the image again.

But it would be nice not to have to enter the census event each time for the number of family members. I've had numerous cases where there were more then 10 children (plus 2 parents and maybe an in-law).

#7 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:26 PM

What about being able to paste a complete fact? Would that be a tidy solution?

Peggy

#8 Guest_Dori_*

Guest_Dori_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Peggy @ Sep 12 2005, 08:26 PM)
What about being able to paste a complete fact?  Would that be a tidy solution?

Peggy

View Post

Peggy, I really like that idea. If one could paste a fact with its note and its sources to other individuals that would be a great time saver.
biggrin.gif
Dori

#9 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:05 AM

Being able to copy and paste a complete fact, along with sources, notes, and media links has been wished for repeatedly. dry.gif It is one of the wish list items that Bruce just keeps ignoring mad.gif but could be one of the most popular single improvements made o RM since it's birth. He can do it with sources, so why not facts!

Canyon Wolf

#10 bvalco

bvalco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:31 PM

Let me add my "wish!" After working with databases in their raw state, it is really cumbersome to have to do each thing manually.

#11 Guest_craigg_*

Guest_craigg_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

I agree. I would find a copy/paste fact function really useful, not only for census facts, but for residnece facts among others where the details are primarily the same with only a tweak or two needed to adjust the copied fact to fit the new situation.

#12 Guest_Guest_Jan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:59 PM

I use the Census (family) for the husband and wife, then under fact source, enter where I got the info, microfilm, page of census etc. Then under the 'text' part of the source, I enter everyone who was in the household. So the children who were there, and any visitors, other family members, are entered and show up in a report (if you print the sources).
Jan

#13 hunterlw50

hunterlw50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Jan_* @ Sep 28 2005, 02:59 PM)
I use the Census (family) for the husband and wife, then under fact source, enter where I got the info, microfilm, page of census etc.  Then under the 'text' part of the source, I enter everyone who was in the household. So the children who were there, and any visitors, other family members, are entered and show up in a report (if you print the sources).
Jan

View Post

TMG has a feature that I like. For any event, you can add witness's. In the case of a census, when you add someone as a witness to the primary person's event, for example the wife you get "She appeared on the census of August 26, 1850 in the census household of (Husband) in (County, State). That line appears on reports for each person listed as a witness. Pretty cool actually.