5 replies to this topic

#1 jmasters

jmasters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

In light of the difficulties of keeping RM7 up when a failed connection hits RM7  (when connecting to FamilySearch) and causes the program to lock up, can you implement a "silent backup" or "recovery backup" that silently backs up every 5 or so minutes?  It would be good to get a "crash recovery" option after an abnormal exit.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

Have you experienced database corruption after such freezes? If not, there is no point in having auto backup; "crash recovery" is simply a restart of the program. The database system supports "atomic" transactions and updates the file automatically and with greater frequency than your suggested five minutes between backups. That is why there is no "Save" control.

OTOH, it is my impression that RootsMagic needs its communications management improved so that it deals gracefully with disruption. There is no justification for the program to behave so poorly when it does not get the expected response from the server.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 jmasters

jmasters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:20 AM

My wife's database is corrupted.  I've also seen numerous instances when importing data for her tree from familysearch, that if the connection fails, and I go back into the database after killing the process off in the task manager, that the pedigree portion doesn't fill out with the people that were imported, but they show up in the name index.

I've also seen a case when a single person shows being married to the same person twice, and the internal links to that person are corrupted and show links to someone else.

I agree that it should FIX the communication management portion.  There are too many instances when things have failed, and I seem to lose some data or some structure to it - Likely because I'm forced to kill the process via the task manager when it hasn't come back from an unexpected event during the swap or download of data with familysearch.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:07 AM

....   when importing data for her tree from familysearch, ...

The conventional wisdom is that it is much better first to import data from FamilySearch into a new, temporary, and empty database. Once that is successful, do any required data cleanup and then drag and drop the data into your production database. Then, do any additional required data cleanup. When you are done with all this, just delete the temporary database. Also, don't import too many individuals at the same time.

The conventional wisdom really is quite wise in this case.

Jerry

#5 jmasters

jmasters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

Thankfully, my wife's database was brand new, and she was only importing data to start off her information.  She trusted that her daughter had corrected/fixed info that's found on familysearch.

The wisdom IS wise in this case.   It's not always clearly spelled out to new users on this site, nor is it mentioned as a pop-up warning in the product when you select an import. (at least I don't remember seeing it).

Might be good to have such a capability, nevertheless.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

OTOH, it is my impression that RootsMagic needs its communications management improved so that it deals gracefully with disruption. There is no justification for the program to behave so poorly when it does not get the expected response from the server.

I have to agree.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root