Photo

error message. "The application has encountered a problem.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi,

When I try to start the program, I get an error message.

"The application has encountered a problem. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

"Not enough storage is available to complete this operation, ClassID: {56FDF344-FD6D-11D0-958A-006097C9A090}."

To see what data the error report contain, click here.

I open that and get a long summary, but no suggestions on what to do.

Has anyone had this problem? Rootsmagic worked the last time that I used it in April.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

#2 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

I uninstalled the program and tried to upload it again.
I get another message that it needs to automatically close RootsMagic Genealogy Software, but it doesnt close them when i press next.

Now I cannot upload the program to use it.  
What is going on?
Thanks.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6369 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

Shutdown and restart your computer to clean out the remnants of broken RootsMagic processes and try reinstalling.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

Thank you for your suggestion.  I was able to upload program. However, I still have the same problem, stated above:

"The application has encountered a problem. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

"Not enough storage is available to complete this operation, ClassID: {56FDF344-FD6D-11D0-958A-006097C9A090}."

To see what data the error report contain, click here.

I am hoping that this problem can be solved..

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6369 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

You were able to install the program. "Upload" means something else, I.e., transmit a file to a storage server. I suspect you may have a Windows configuration issue for which you may need to get local computer support to help out. Just so you know, this is a user-to-user forum - we are not RootsMagic Tech Support. You could try calling it/them.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

okay. thank you. The program just doesn't work now.  Usually, I have received good help on this forum.  Thought that I would ask to see if someone had a solution.  I have contacted tech support and waiting for an answer..

Thanks...

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8620 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

Move your database from the current location so the program will open without trying to open that file. If your database was inside the Program Files (x86) folder that could be part of the issue.

Once the program opens you can try and open the database. 

Is RootsMagic installed on the C drive?  How much available space do you have on that hard drive? How much space is available on the drive your database in on?

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

When I Google not enough storage, I come up with sites that tell me that error is a JavaScript error.

#9 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi Renee,

I tried your suggestions and still the same error message.  I have a enough space on the C Drive, something like 279 GB left.

Hopefully Tech Support will find a solution.  Still waiting for them to respond...

Thank you for your help.

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

Try starting up RootsMagic by right-clicking on the RM icon and choosing Run As Administrator

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

Hi kbensOn,

Thank you, that does works.  I still do not why I cannot open it by clicking the RM icon.  I will still see what RM Tech support comes up for a solution.  This is a great solution and a big help.

Thanks again.

#12 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

You can set RM to always run as administrator. These steps assume you're using an icon on your desktop to start RM. I'm using RM6 under WIn7. My user account has administrator privileges, so I don't need to use this method.

1 - Right-click the RM icon and select Properties.

2 - Select the [Advanced] button

3 - Put a check mark in "Run as administrator"

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

Begs the question of why RM needs to run as administrator to run successfully? I run without administrator privileges all the the time. I have minor problems with a couple of applications, but I never have any trouble with RM. I wonder what the difference is.

Jerry

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8620 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

What computer operating system are you using Jerry?

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

5 Ways to Run Programs as Administrator in Windows 7 & Windows 8

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

What computer operating system are you using Jerry?

64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 8GB memory.

I switched to running without administrator privileges on my home machine about a year ago for a couple of reasons. One reason is that it's simply a good idea if you can get it to work. I've known that for close to 20 years, but I could never get it to work because so many little things wouldn't work quite right if I tried not using administrator privileges. Then the precipitating reason was strong pressure at work from our statewide security auditors to run all our machines without administrator privileges.

Before my very recent retirement, I worked in IT at a large college and I couldn't even began to imagine how our faculty could function without administrator privileges. So I decided once and for all to do it at home as an experiment, and to make it work no matter what. It wasn't easy, and it took me several weeks of frustration to get all the kinks out. But as for work, we were still running all faculty and staff machines with administrator privileges when I left and it will be up to my successor to negotiate some sort of solution with the auditors, the faculty, and the staff.

But as I said originally, RM is not one of the programs that gave me fits when I tried running without administrator privileges. For me at least, it "just works". I don't have to do anything special about changing its properties to run as an administrator. When I install it, I take all the defaults as to which folders are used for the RM executables, etc. RM is a 32 bit application and it therefore gets installed in a a special 32 bit folder on a 64 bit machine. I don't have to do anything special with the install to make that happen. I'm a sample size of one, but it really should just work without administrator privileges. (I think!).

A typical issue I do have running without privileges, for example, is that when Windows updates itself, it asks for a password and I give it the password of another userid on my machine that does have administrator  privileges. Similarly, I  run a folder synchronization utility to make backup copies, and it verifies the system clock against atomic clocks on the Internet. This requires administrator privileges, so the system asks me for a password. Again, I just give it the password of an account on my machine that does have administrator privileges. The only thing that absolutely requires me to logoff my normal account and to logon to an administrator account is Java updates. They simply won't work any other way. This all sounds very simple right now,but it really was very difficult to get all the pieces to work. It's much simpler (and less safe) just to run with administrator privileges all the time.

Jerry

#17 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:08 PM

I agree, Jerry, that it should NOT be necessary to have users run as administrators. But when I was teaching, we used a grading & attendance program that was heavily dependent on Java and web access, and the staff accounts had limited administrative privileges. The student accounts ran without any administrator access, and the staff computers were set up to reject a student account login attempt.

I am also just a sample size of one, but I've had no problems that I'd associate with running everything on an account with administrator privileges. Of course, I'm the only person who uses my computer, and I keep my name-brand anti-virus app up-to-date. And, I might be lucky . . . :D

#18 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

It's certainly possible for security programs or suites related to virus checking/malware blocking/network firewalls/startup programs managers/user login access/ETC to affect privileges for specific or all users.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#19 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions, used Run as administrator for awhile.  Decided to open a new user profile and the problem was solved....

Bill