9 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

When running DUPLICATE SEARCH I get a long list of duplicate candidates. Often, when merging, the merged person has duplicate children and duplicate facts. In order to complete all necessary editing, the window that contained the list of duplicates is GONE! In order to get the list back, it must be re-run, from scratch. It would be nice to have the list retained in another window so merging can be continued from where it left off.

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Isn't the problem here that if the generated list were simply retained on screen it would still show record(s) you have merged as not merged? This could cause users some confusion unless, of course, the list can be made to auto-update its results after each merge action is completed until the merge feature is 'turned off' by the user.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

If you need to Edit the person you just merged its best to click the Edit Person button from with the "Merge Duplicate Records" search. Otherwise if closed, it is designed to clear out that session and you will need to generate the list again. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:06 AM

In order to complete all necessary editing, the window that contained the list of duplicates is GONE!

I am a bit confused by this, whilst I don't use RM7 I don't believe there is any difference in the way DSM functions, if indeed DerickH is talking about DSM.

When I merge an individual the Duplicate Person now shows as a red "Merged". The two problems I find here is lack information regarding Media, Notes and Sources on the list of possible duplicates so I merge those who are duplicates maybe five at a time and then go back over them and edit the merged person to tidy it up.

Not doing this will create duplication but how it's managed better is a matter for discussion, the comment about the list of duplicates being GONE, I don't understand?

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

Reply to Renee: EXACTLY. I really hate to re-generate the list each time I edit the person I just merged. That is a disincentive to trying to merge duplicates.

#6 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

After using the Duplicate Search Merge, I note that not only the listed individual is involved but, often times, other members of the family as well. For that reason, I have taken a new approach and have made a manual list and have written down the record numbers that appear on the left side (I could have the numbers on the right side, for that matter). I then work through the list, making a manual merge of each and correcting any and all details on family members that need correcting.

What might be a helpful tool is to be able to create a list of all the names that appear, since I can't highlight all of the names for a cut-and-paste operation and writing them all down can be tedious.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Once you have written down those number or done a screen capture to get all those names, you could create a group out of them by selecting them in the list. You can look them up by RINs. Then you could work through that list. Remove them from the group using QuickGroups. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

Rene, that is what I am doing now. Merging one name invariably results in other related individuals requiring work. I would opt for the chance to send the list to a file, if that is possible. In the same vein, I would like to be able to edit the Index/Individual Information screen in a limited sense. Often there are duplicate facts--I would like to be able to delete individual fact lines.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

I understand your suggestion and it is on the enhancement list. Here is a work around suggestion for now.

You could use QuickGroups to add each individual one at a time to a group. On the Duplicate Merge screen highlight a match and click on their Edit Person button. Then in the upper right corner click on the Groups button and select a group you want them to belong to. Then you can work through that group outside of Merge or print out a list using them.  

To prevent duplicate facts I always make sure my place list is clean before doing a merge. I have found that even if the place name is identical if its a duplicate on the place list it will still be considered a different fact. Check your Source List too for duplicates. If everything is truly identical then only one fact will remain after the merge. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:20 AM

I would like to be able to edit the Index/Individual Information screen in a limited sense. Often there are duplicate facts--I would like to be able to delete individual fact lines.

DerickH, this is a feature very close to my heart and I believe I can see the shortcomings and various areas of potential improvement. I know through using RSM a lot that it unfortunately has a great leaning towards creating duplicate facts if not extra careful and these are not so easy to find and tidy afterwards. 

I have been planning for some time to do a little screencast to highlight how this works best, how I have tended to use the feature and share my opinions on the various shortcomings, hopefully I will get time to do that over the next few months.

In the meantime I, for one, would value your opinions on how this could be improved and we can hope that Rootsmagic are listening, a few links to previous discussions are below. Adduing to these discussions I would like to see the possibility to restrict the scope of DSM to a Named Group so you could widen the birth filter and restrict the results to everyone who'se name contains Samuel or al people with a certain soundex name in Scotland etc. 

http://forums.rootsm...y-color-coding/

http://forums.rootsm... +search +merge

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root