• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

On the average I probably visit this forum at least four times a week to see if there has been a resolution to the failure of the RootsMagic app to run under the Lollipop operating system.  Lollipop arrived in November 2014, so this translates into a lot of fruitless visits.

There have also been the hopes and disappointments accompanying each Lollipop minor upgrade, "will 5.01 (or 5.02 or 5.1 or 5.1.1) address the RootsMagic failure?"  The answer has been "no".  This does exact an emotional toll on each of us who really wants to use the app.

Then there is the frustration and wasted effort of de-installing the app and clearing its data, re-installing the year-old (!) version of the app, verifying the correctness of the database on the PC, jumping through the DropBox hoops of delivering the database to the device, only to have the app continue to fail.

This is really frustrating.

Here is my suggestion:

Set up a notification list, i.e. provide a means for potential users of the app to request that they be notified when RootsMagic has resolved the issue.

A notification list would spare the users a lot of effort and, ultimately, a lot of irritation as well.

- David P

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

If you downloaded the RM app from Google Play Store you should get a notice when a new update is available. The fix to this issue will have to come with an update to the RM App, so you don't need to uninstall, reinstall each time Android updates their operating system. They removed a key feature in Lollipop that the RM App was using and we have to go back through development to support it on our own. That is why its taking longer to get this update out. So just watch for a notice of a RM App update in the Google Play Store when its ready. I'm sure we will put it in the newsletter or blog too.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

Thank you, your suggestion is helpful.

- David P

#4 Eaglesperch

Eaglesperch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

I have spent 10's of hours thinking my Samsung Tablet 5 running Android 5.02 was broken.  Thanks to you guys at RM for sending out email notices to us registered users about this problem.  My tablet worked fine until about two weeks ago, then ---------.  The only info I found here was blaming my database which I had done some new inputs to, but nothing out of the ordinary.  You suggested I doa a database validity check and "clear all the flags" about "Illegal Characters" which you suggest are ordinary things like parens, quotes, etc.  I thank you so much for building my confidence in your staff.

BTW, the Southern Cal Gen Soc Jamboree begins tomorrow, Thursday.  I'm sure you'll have many very happy patrons there.

#5 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

Always a good idea to check the message boards if you think you might have an issue.  If you don't see your specific issue mentioned, you can start a new thread to find out if others are experiencing the same or a similar problem.  A lot of good information can be gleaned from the message boards.