• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geluardi

Geluardi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

I don't know what possessed me, but I hope one of you Roots Magic 7 masterminds can help!

I am using RM7 with MacBridge on a MacBook Pro on iOs 10.10.3. Here are the elements of my question: 

• In RM I went into Tools > Program options > Folders. 
  • On the top line, where it says, RootsMagic data files, I moved this path to my Dropbox. 
  • Then I read on forums that I should NOT do that.
  • But I don't know where it was saved before I made the change, so I cannot undo it. 

Can someone tell me where those files should be saved? I am most concerned about losing my hard work. 

Thank you so much.

Anne 

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1521 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

I'm not a Mac user, so I might miss on this....

I believe that MacBridge remaps part of your hard drive, and identifies it as Y:

I would try opening RM, then go to Tools - Program Options - Folders - then use the [...] buttons to navigate to the folders on your hard drive where you'd like the files to be stored - but keep reading before you do this !!

On a Windows computer there would be access problems if you store the RM files under the Program Files folder, but other than that you can store them wherever you can reliably find & access them. And again in the Windows system, those folder must already exist in order to navigate to them. I'm assuming (yeah, that's sometimes silly...) that you can figure out where your Y: drive is, and create some folders for data, media, and backups - then go to RM and use [...] to navigate to them.

By the way, there is no problem with storing your BACKUPS (*.rmgb) in DropBox, it's just not a good idea to keep your active RM files (*.rmgc) in DropBox.

#3 Geluardi

Geluardi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thank you, Zhangrau! 

#4 thor0128

thor0128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

I would still like to be able to map to dropbox, google drive something other than the Y: drive. can't back up to any thing other than Y: drive either.  Since RM for IOS uses back up locations of dropbox that is screwed up as well. This version in mac bridge is stripped to the bone. just saying ! 

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

Just not possible to make that feature work using MacBridge. We need the native Mac version to be able to upload directly to Dropbox. That is why the feature doesn't even appear in the File menu. The best you can do is set the folder to backup to Dropbox. Go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and set it to your Dropbox location on your Mac.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:02 PM

Just not possible to make that feature work using MacBridge. We need the native Mac version to be able to upload directly to Dropbox. That is why the feature doesn't even appear in the File menu. The best you can do is set the folder to backup to Dropbox. Go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and set it to your Dropbox location on your Mac.

So, Renee, are we getting close to a native Mac version? I think it's sorely needed!

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Every day we are a little closer. Development is active on the native Mac version but we still cannot give a projected time for release.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

Thank you, Renee. It it is good to know that it's still being worked on! I will look forward to it.

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10