• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 danmohn

danmohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

I would like to find a way to filter my database using the existence of a web hint as one of the criteria.  For example, I would like to select ancestors in my family tree for whom the Web Hint bulb is "on".  Search capability along this line would enable me to create and work with a subset of the database that would be most relevant and fruitful of additional factual datapoints.

Is this currently possible?  Or can it be added to your enhancements list for future development?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

The functionality you describe would be extremely useful, but it's hard to see how it could ever be made to work. The light bulb information is not stored in RM. Rather, it's stored in the servers at FamilySearch FamilyTree and at MyHeritage.com. The RM software running on your desktop queries those servers in order to display the light bulb information. And RM only  queries the servers for the individuals who are are in your current view. That's why it can take a long time for Descendant View to come up if light bulbs are enabled because Descendant View can include a lot of people, and that's why RM does not support light bulbs in People View because People View can include everybody in your database.

It will be interesting to see what additional comments Renee might be able to make in this regard.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

Confirming this enhancement request is a much sought after one. One of the reasons it can't be implemented now is the program would run at a crawl trying to populate all those webhints for everyone at once to filter a list on them. This is new technology so we just have to wait for things to mature in the APIs we are working through.

Renee
RootsMagic