2 replies to this topic

#1 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

I have a problem with the Relationship Calculation (RC) that displays at the bottom left corner of RM. I have a lot of people who were aunts, uncles or cousins when I first entered them in the file, but later on they are changed to grandparents. Sometimes the RC reflects the change, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, the previous aunt, uncle or cousin relationship is displayed in the bottom left corner. I know the people are linked to their parents and children correctly. When I use the relationship calcultor to calculate the individual relationship, the correct grandparent relationship is displayed at the top of the list. Color coding also shows that these people are linked correctly.

I unlinked several from their parents, then I cleared and set the RC again. At this point, they display as grandparents. Then I hooked them back up to their parents. The correct grandparent relationship is still displayed.  Then I cleared and set the RC again. Back they go to aunts, uncles or cousins. 

I had this problem when I was using TMG. I was hoping RM wouldn't have the same problem, but it does. I did prove to TMG tech support that I had the people connected properly. The said they were going to fix it, but they never got around to it.

I think I just figured out what the problem is! Does RM allow RC grandparent status for only one child in each family? I have a LOT of families where two or more children are grandparents. Can you change RM to allow grandparent status for more than one child in a family? Pretty please! I use the relationship all the time when writing captions and entering Notes for Facts. It's a real pain to have to stop and calculate each person individually to make sure the RC in the corner is correct. Anyone related to titled gentry in Europe would have the same problem.  They intermarried constantly. There are many thousands of people who are descendants of titled Europeans, so there must be some other RM users with the same problem?
Thanks,
Kim D

Kim D

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

RootsMagic does allow grandparent status to more than one child in a family. When the relationship is being calculated it is climbing the relationship as a cousin before it sees them as a grandparent. If there is no incorrect looping then I can't see a way to overcome the way it is processing the relationship calculator. You could open a support ticket and include a backup of your database so we can take a look. Let us know which people to look at.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Renee.  I'll submit that support request.

Kim D

Kim D