• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 B Hogstmyr

B Hogstmyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

After more than 10 years With TMG I am currently trying to migrate to RM!

Today I imported my TMG 9.05 data into RM7 and discovered one possible problem:

Birth/Death dates does not show in the person navigator view and not in the Family tree view either.

However, when I start editing the person, I find my TMG tags for birth and Death and they seem OK.

Can anyone please help me With this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Bjørn

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

I've not used TMG, but something like this was discussed on the forums a while ago.

Check to see if your Birth and Death fact types were treated as custom (as opposed to built-in) fact types during the import process. Only the built-in Birth and Death fact types display as such in the Family View of RM.

To check & fix:

In RM, go to Lists - Fact Type List to see if you have TWO Birth fact types. If so, examine them closely to see what differs. If you select the built-in Birth fact type, then click the [Edit] button, you'll see that the name and abbreviation are grayed-out, meaning they cannot be changed. If you go back to your TMG database, and modify the Birth fact type there to EXACTLY MATCH the built-in Birth fact type for RM, then you can re-import from TMG to RM and the TMG birth info should be correctly placed into RM's built-in Birth fact type.

#3 B Hogstmyr

B Hogstmyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:09 AM

Hi

Thank you for Your quick reply.

I found no significant difference between the fact type definitions of 'Birth' fact and my own custom fact.

In TMG I have renamed the standard 'Birth' tag to a Norwegian name 'Blei fodt', and that gave me an idea:

I renamed the tag back to standard name 'Birth' in TMG and then re-imported, but then I still got both Fact types in RM and the 'Birth' fact was still empty in RM.

Did I miss something important?

Regards

Bjørn

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8473 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

Looks like you still have two birth facts in TMG. That will cause an issue in RootsMagic if you are not using the default birth fact. Make a copy of your TMG file and test if you can delete the one birth fact that you are not using. Maybe RootsMagic will then consider the one remaining as the default birth fact. If you using both birth facts in TMG the you have no choice but to move all the facts afterwards manually to the default birth fact in RootsMagic. Then delete the one custom birth fact. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:51 PM

If you are not averse to going 'under the hood' to tinker with your RM database, you could use a SQLite query to convert the imported custom Birth facts to the standard Birth fact type. See http://sqlitetoolsfo...hange Fact Type

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 bencason

bencason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

I am someone who is going down the same path of migration from TMG to RM. I did a direct import from my TMG database instead of using a GEDCOM. I have looked at a few of my people with multiple birth entries [different sources have differing data]. I see all of the birth facts in RM and one is marked primary which is just what I want. When I look at the Index panel [which is what I assume the OP meant by Navigator] I see the birth year. When I look at the Family panel I see the primary birth/death dates. I did check the Fact list and I only have one Birth fact.

It doesn't look like I encountered this issue but I may not be recognizing the problem as seen by the OP. Is there something specific to look at to tell if I do have the problem and need to add a new "to-do" to my list?

#7 B Hogstmyr

B Hogstmyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

Hi Tom and 'bencason'.

I have followed Tom's advice to use SQLite, and this was a success, thank you, Tom!

Reply to 'bencason':

I also did a Direct import from TMG, but the problem was that I had tampered With them tag definitions in TMG (renamed the standard birth and Death tags to Norwegian tag names).

Thank you for all help; we may Close this posting now.

Regards

Bjørn