2 replies to this topic

#1 Seaboots

Seaboots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hi Everyone,
Just downloaded RM 7 so I am a complete novice and still looking at the Videos but there is so much to absorb and being on the wrong side of 60 is a bit of a struggle.

I have looked around and cannot seem to find how RM 7 finds duplicate persons, I might be missing the obvious.

There is no problem converting the Gedcom file and importing it into RM 7, and I even managed to run a potential problem report.

Any help would be great, and RM 7 seems to have so much I want to do with it especially with the book feature.
Cheers
Malc

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

First, let me advise you that RootsMagic supports DIRECT import from Family Tree Maker 16 (and earlier), Legacy version 2 (and later), PAF version 2 and later, AND The Master Genealogist. You should use this method in most cases (in lieu of GEDCOM) by going to File->Import and selecting those programs' radio button and proceeding.

As to finding duplicates ... the Tools->Merge menu is for what you mention:

-Automatic Merges take care of the obvious duplicates.

-Duplicate Search Merge has some filtering options and then Merge capabilities of identified duplicates.

-Manual Merge helps where you already have identified existing duplicates.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Seaboots

Seaboots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

Many thanks for the help. I will have a go at importing my files from my FTM and also try the Tools > Merge and rid myself of my duplicates.