• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tralston

tralston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:07 AM

I know this is a FamilySearch related wish list, but it's truly on the RootsMagic side, not FS. When in the FS Share Data screen, there are so many times when I need to look at a family member's Share Data screen, but I can't do it easily or quickly.

Example: Open RM and click on the FS Tree icon of an ancestor. It opens the FS screen for that individual. But let's say I need to look at that indivudal's third spouse's Share Data screen. Currently, I'd have to quit out of the window, locate the other person in the database (which surprisingly sometimes it takes a bit of navigating if you don't remember the exact path to them or their exact name) and then click on their FS icon.

What I'd like, and this is a feature of Legacy Family Tree, where I came from, is to have that person's name clickable on the Share Data screen such that I can "follow it" to their screen, almost like clicking a link in a browser. I don't need any "Back" button, but it would be nice to be able to quickly navigate the family tree while in the FS screens. Note: I'm not talking about navigating anything on the FS right-side of the window, but the left side, which is the RM database side.

Thanks!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Along the left side of the FamilySearch Person Tools you will see a slim button with a tiny arrow in it. You can click on it to open a sidebar index. This will allow you to move to anyone else in the database without closing that window. If you already know the family members name, since your on the Share Data tab and can see them just scroll the index until you locate them in the list before moving to them. 

I am confirming I added your enhancement request to our tracking system. I could see having an option in the FamilySearch Person Tools to filter to view family members. That would make moving to them easier.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 tralston

tralston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:49 AM

Renee, thank you for adding the feature request. I have used the index to the left quite much. Simply adding a filter to the index will narrow down the list, but it's still three or so clicks, whereas if you could just left/right-click the family member's name, or add an arrow icon to the row, would be much faster and save me time from looking through the index, which was my original point.