• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Can you help? Have exported GEDCOM and when imported to another RM file, no sources were exported just the date. 

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

On the File - Export - GEDCOM Export screen there is are checkboxes for what to be included in the export. One is for Sources - please verify whether this was checked or unchecked.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

2015_05_04_035904.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

Thank you yes, Sources was definitely checked/ticked. Only To do, Research and Correspondence not ticked. Exporting from RM6 to RM7...

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Why transfer from RM6 to RM7 via GEDCOM? Why not open the RM6 database with RM7 and use drag'n'drop to transfer between databases?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:23 PM

TomH, tried to upload my GEDCOM created with my RM6 to cousin's new RM7 but my sources didn't transfer... As suggested had ticked all the boxes. Could this be because I have more sources than cousin's just-purchased new RM7 

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

How do you know that "sources" did not transfer? Can you describe or, better yet, post before/after screenshots that show an example of what is missing? (Post image files to an image host such as postimage.org and copy/paste direct links therefrom into the forum's message editor dialog for images)

Alternatively, send your cousin a backup file of your database (extension .RMGB) and avoid transferring through GEDCOM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:15 AM

I see the logic of using the RM database to transfer between versions of RM but is it not a bit worrying that sources might not transfer by gedcom? 

I use other programmes than RM (ie for website) and obviously expect everything to transfer via gedcom!! So far I have only had minor problems with RM's gedcom output so do hope it remains so!

Bob

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:19 AM

Sources that are not cited for any person, family, event in the group of people being transferred are not transferred. But I wonder if you have accurately explained what you are seeing; hence the request for images.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8368 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

If the options are checked in the GEDCOM to include the sources then they will be there. There is no RootsMagic bug that will not include your sources when you request them. Either you didn't check the option, didn't look in the right place, or your database is damaged. Run the File>Database Tools. If you can't explain it with these, then open a support ticket. We need a backup of your RM database before making the GEDCOM to test that they will transfer. If you have a source you are not seeing transferred and it is connected to the people in the GEDCOM then give us their names and the source so we can track what's happening.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 CCpstas

CCpstas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. Will check as suggested and also send back up and try that. Thanks you all for your assistance. (not on line regularly so apologies for not replying more promptly!)