• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sonofedd

sonofedd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

I'm having a problem with opening recently saved backup files using rootsmagic. In January of this year I started to back up my recently edited files to a folder, but when I tried to open them RM software opened but not the actual database, I have been trying for the past month now. When I go to my Rootsmagic software (I have versions 4 and 7 now) and click on the folder icon to open an existing file, I browse to the folder on my computer and the files doesn't show up, I have seven files in my RootsMagic 4 folder and 1 in my RootsMagic 7 folder (which seems to open up RM4 when I backed it up in RM7, though the actual database doesn't open).

The original .rmgc file for RM4 still opens that have been lasted edited in August and September 2014, I have files backed up in January (6) and February (1), the most recent was in March, that was for RM7.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:03 PM

For all intents and purposes, backup files are ONLY opened via RM program menu File->Restore (and they overwrite "same-named" .RMGC (database)file, if you've made more recent changes)

NOTE: Savvy users know that .RMGB files are just .ZIP archives with a custom RM extension ...so they can extract and overwrite that way, too

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 sonofedd

sonofedd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:05 PM

Guess its time for me to be a savvy user then, huh? lol

Thanks