• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

Most of the information that is entered originates from just a few types of documents, namely birth, marriage and death certificates, church baptisms, marriages and burials, census records and probate records.

I’d like to have a function that provides several data entry screens in the form of the sources mentioned above and allows the data from these source documents to be entered directly into the software and automatically adds census, marriage, death, burial and baptism events, occupations, births, and other facts linked to a source record for every individual involved. For example, typically entering a census household entry in a family history application requires multiple facts such as census, occupation, birth, etc. to be created for each individual, all linked back to a source via citations: a very time consuming exercise.

For the British software Family Historian from Calico Pie Ltd., there is an add-on called Ancestral Sources which does exactly this.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

For example, typically entering a census household entry in a family history application requires multiple facts such as census, occupation, birth, etc. to be created for each individual, all linked back to a source via citations: a very time consuming exercise.

For the British software Family Historian from Calico Pie Ltd., there is an add-on called Ancestral Sources which does exactly this.

I agree completely regarding the very time consuming process of entering genealogy information. To that end I started creating routines in Microsoft Excel to create gedcoms from compiled spreadsheet information. Copying all available columns for the Ireland census repeatedly into Excel for the surnames I was interested in allowed me to be satisfied the job was complete and got the information into Rootsmagic in much less time that I would have been able to do otherwise.

I do hope developers take the time consuming process of entering information seriously but Excel is easy to learn and and creates some great results, I even created both individual and shared census events on each family.

census.png 

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Data entry, sources, user interface, automation