2 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

I am on a MacBook Pro (mid 2012 version). My program is running with MacBridge but other programs like "GenSmarts" only run on windows so am looking into getting either Crossover or Parallels so I can run GenSmarts & a few other programs I use for genealogy along with my RM7.

Anyone have any preferences? Either program cause any issues with RM7?

I would appreciate any opinions and sharing of experiences with these programs. Thank you all.

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:57 AM

I am on a MacBook Pro (mid 2012 version). My program is running with MacBridge but other programs like "GenSmarts" only run on windows so am looking into getting either Crossover or Parallels so I can run GenSmarts & a few other programs I use for genealogy along with my RM7.
Anyone have any preferences? Either program cause any issues with RM7?
I would appreciate any opinions and sharing of experiences with these programs. Thank you all.

The benefit with CrossOver is that the overheads are lower and one doesn't have the pain of Windows update and anti-virus activity. The latter can be a real pain if you don't use the Windows programs that often. And you don't need a Windows licence, so don't need to worry about things like the expiry of XP support.

However, you have to be sure that all your Windows programs run properly under CrossOver - not all Windows programs do. Also, are the programs you want "supported officially" by CrossOver or dependent on an unofficial "packaging" that is known to be OK. When I last looked, RM6 was an "official" offering but RM7 was "unofficial", though I run RM7 OK based entirely on the "unofficial" packaging.

However (another one!), you need to be aware that some things in RM don't work under CrossOver. Examples include RM-to-Go, the Help function, and one or two other minor things that I can't currently recall. Other than the Help, all the things I want to do with normal use of RM seem to be fine, including Family Search Family Tree. I've been using RM this way for well over a year.

With Parallels, or VM Ware for that matter, almost everything that a Windows program wants to do should work just fine.

So, thore are my comments. Others may have other comments to offer, particularly on limitations.

#3 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

I have used all of the emulation programs. I found that Parallels worked best for me but was expensive with the purchase of some version of Windows. I tried MacBridge but it had so many problems I gave up on it. Then I had to upgrade Parallels because of OS updates so I decided to try Crossover and it has worked for me so that is what I am currently using.

It dose not have the problems that MacBridge had. The only thing I miss is the command Q to quit. I do not use RM to go but did try some of the charts and they worked but I just had a hard time with them.

So I will be sticking with Crossover until the Mac version of RM comes out.

Roger