Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:59 AM

This is a duplicate of my posting on the RM 7 General Discussion Forum

See http://forums.rootsm...atible-with-rm/

All discussion is now on that site

Can anyone suggest a DNA agency whose test results would provide the best range of detail for input to RM?  

My knowledge of DNA testing for genealogical purposes is very limited.

RM7 has provision for:

·         The mtDNA test - three haplotype categories ( HVR-1, HVR-2 and HVR-3) each with provision for entering ten locations; and     

·         The Y-STR test - in excess of one hundred haplotypes.

I've checked the websites of number of companies offering genealogical testing but most don't seem to provide any detailed information on what their tests provide. One exception is "familytreedna" whose comprehensive tests are rather expensive.

I have looked at "advisory" sites such as "familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Hiring_a_DNA_Testing_Company" but am still no clearer as to what company is best for my purposes.

• What companies offer tests with results most compatible with the provisions in RM?
  • What is the best value for money?

Can anyone assist please?

#2 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:09 AM

• What is the best value for money?

Hi Mike,

do you have a special purpose for being tested (i.e. breaking through a brick wall) or is it just to get filled the data fields provided by RM?

Check, if the value a test adds to your research is worth the money.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:22 AM

See Mike's duplicate topic on the Discussion board.

http://forums.rootsm...atible-with-rm/

#4 Mike Power

Mike Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

See Mike's duplicate topic on the Discussion board.

http://forums.rootsm...atible-with-rm/

Thanks Laura

I've been away and, yes, all the discussion is on the RM7 forum. I've responded to "austrian_genealogy's " question on that.

As far as I can tell there isn't a central "General Discussion" point on the RM forum; instead there is one for each version of the program.

Pity.

#5 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:02 AM

Thanks Laura

I've been away and, yes, all the discussion is on the RM7 forum. I've responded to "austrian_genealogy's " question on that.

As far as I can tell there isn't a central "General Discussion" point on the RM forum; instead there is one for each version of the program.

Pity.

Not really a pity.  That is why there are sites/mailing lists that exist for the purpose of discussing "general" genealogy questions.  Those sites/mailing lists are not software specific and therefore not limited to discussions and topics that are software specific.