• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shiro

Shiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

I have 3 families living close to each other and appearing on one page of the 1900 census.  How do I cite each family without entering 3 different sources?

#2 Shiro

Shiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

I have 3 families located very near each other on one census page.  How do I cite the page without creating 3 different sources?  I don't really understand the use Master text and detail text.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

IN RM, press F1  which is the help menu and search for Citation Manager.  There is a very good explanation of the Master Text [example Census source information] and detail text [example: the information found for a person].  Or watch the webinar on doing a census record/Source

http://rootsmagic.com/webinars/  no 5.  No matter which version of RM you have or the webinar says, it works for all versions.  :)

I use the same source for all the persons on one census page.  Once I have all the items together in the source citation, I memorize it [which is copy of] and paste it in the 2nd persons census fact, the source. and in the 3rd person census fact. The only information I change in the Source Citation for each individual is the Detail Text.  

Suggest looking at the Forum/ Tips and Helps for information on the census records. Look at this file in RM 4, 5, 6, & 7.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

I think this all depends on if you are a lumper or splitter when it comes to sources. What fields you have in the Master Source (yellow) fields and what you have in the Source Details (green) fields.  I have made a copy of the source template and edited to fit my needs. In this case I would be using only one Source as the 1900 census, but changing the citation based on the family.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:00 PM

For me, they'd all be the same master source: US Census 1900. The citation details would vary only in the household number. I'd probably just copy and paste the same citation on each family, editing only the household number.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: census, multiple families, groups, multiple, citing, citations, sources