• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ngarnold

ngarnold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:58 AM

Just got new PC and decided to make the switch to RM. I bought v.1 when it first came out, so that's what I installed. I also installed the service pack for it. Works fine in all respects except I cannot print anything.

I click on Printer Setup and nothing happens. I go to Print a Report, and the reports dialog box comes up, but then I click on Print and I get an error dialog box that says "You need to select a printer".

Priner Setup from the Print Reports dialog box does nothing.

I did not have a printer installed before I installed RM, so I installed the printer and RE-installed RM - no change. mad.gif

Please help!

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (ngarnold @ Mar 3 2005, 05:58 AM)
I cannot print anything. 
I click on Printer Setup and nothing happens.  I go to Print a Report, and the reports dialog box comes up, but then I click on Print and I get an error dialog box that says "You need to select a printer".
Priner Setup from the Print Reports dialog box does nothing.
I did not have a printer installed before I installed RM, so I installed the printer and RE-installed RM - no change. mad.gif

Are you able to print documents from other computer programs such as your word processor or Wordpad or whatever?

Are you sure you installed the correct printer?

When you click on PRINTER SETUP button in the RM Print Reports Dialog box and then get the Print Setup dialog box, is there at least one printer available to select from? Is it the correct printer?

What steps did you follow to set up your printer in Windows?

Did you do something like the following?:

Go to the Start menu
Settings,
Printers and Faxes
Add a Printer,
Local Printer,
LPT 1 Port is usually appropriate
Select the appropriate printer.
Follow the remaining prompts to complete the printer installation.

I don't know if it is necessary or not, but did you reboot your computer before trying the new printer?

#3 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

Make sure you have a printer selected as your "default printer".
RootsMagician

#4 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:03 AM

I click on Printer Setup and nothing happens.

Does a Print Setup window open?

Assuming the Print Setup window opens, the default printer should be in the Name box and the Status line should read "Default printer; Ready". If you have multiple printing devices installed (more than 1 printer and/or FAX software), you will need to select the device you want from the drop-down menu associated wuth the Name box.

If you cannot even get this far:

Try other installed programs - such as your word processor - to see if they will access the printer. Do you have other programs running at the same time as RM that "capture" the printer for themselves and will not share?

I suspect that the problem might be in the OS and not RM (of course I've been wrong before).

Try running RM by itself. Try a reinstall of the printer drivers. Are your printer drivers the ones for your new PC's OS. The latest drivers are available on the printer manufacturer's web-site free. Even if the printer is new, I would check for updated drivers - you would be supprised at the number of times updated drivers are available.

Just got new PC

If all else fails you should have a support number to call to help with setup.

GHood Luck
JohnG

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:49 AM

For now, completely forget about RootsMagic.

I am assuming that your new computer is running Windows XP.
Have you gone to the control panel and installed your printer?

If YOU HAVE NOT INSTALLED A PRINTER, or you have and it is not working:
Click the Windows Start button,
Click on Control Panel, about center right.
Double Click on Add Hardware, about the second item.
Follow the on screen instructions from there.

You can also check the status of an installed and turned on printer from the Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager. Find the printer, If there is a yellow question mark there something is wrong. even if not, click the plus sign if one is there to expand so the EXACT printer will show, then right click on it and choose Properties. There are too many branches from here to cover them all, just follow the on screen instructions as best you can.

You may need a disk that came with a new printer, or you may need to go online and find a better driver for an old printer.

Once the printer is set up in Windows, RootsMagic should have no problem with it.

Alfred