• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sherrios

sherrios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

I would really like a hot-key or right-click function that would copy the last date you entered into a new fact, or even give you a list of the last five or so dates you entered from which you can choose to enter into the date field for a new fact. For example, a census record will generate a minimum of three facts for the head of household (census, residence, and occupation) and potentially occupation facts for other members of the household, all of which would have the same date. It would really speed up data entry if you copy the last date you entered into the new fact rather than typing the date all over again.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

It would really speed up data entry if you copy the last date you entered into the new fact rather than typing the date all over again.

I'm positive Renee will respond to you confirming that this request is in their tracking system ...it's been asked for numerous times over the years. In the meantime, if you really want to speed up data entry (you said you're "typing the date all over again") ...just enter the date the first time into a field and then press & hold Ctrl key and tap the 'a' key (Ctrl-a does Select all field contents) followed by Ctrl-c (Copy selection) and then paste it as many future times as you need using Ctrl-v (Paste selection). When you change to entering a new date ...repeat the process.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

I work with Evernote open beside my RootsMagic. While researching I will build all the information I want into an Evernote note. Then copy and paste it into the proper fields in RootsMagic. Then I never have to guess on what I wanted repeated.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:23 AM

I would really like a hot-key or right-click function that would copy the last date you entered into a new fact, or even give you a list of the last five or so dates you entered from which you can choose to enter into the date field for a new fact. For example, a census record will generate a minimum of three facts for the head of household (census, residence, and occupation) and potentially occupation facts for other members of the household, all of which would have the same date. It would really speed up data entry if you copy the last date you entered into the new fact rather than typing the date all over again.

It's funny the things you accept and the census example is very clear. I doubt whether RM would ever move to predicting the next date as being the same from the same data collection set which is quite ofter the case. However intuitive this might seem it would be very but prone to creating unwanted errors.

I use the same date copy&paste method as kbens0n when entering census and I add around 6 events to each census entry.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 JackieB

JackieB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thought I'd bring this up again.  Although I know there are a lot of things on the tracking system.  Also nice would be a hotkey for today's date for doing citations.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

http://forums.rootsm...for-note-edits/

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: data entry, copy dates, hot-key, shortcut keys