• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WandererOTD

WandererOTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

I think it would be helpful if the custom report designer allowed users to insert into the report the name of the user-defined group used as its data source.  To me, it is very helpful looking at a report if you know where the data came from.  If a user chose to add in the user-defined group name as data source, it could appear as a subtitle (perhaps) or somewhere in the footer (perhaps) or at a user defined location within the report using the existing custom report designer.

This is important because a report doesn't necessarily list all data in the database within the report parameters.  For example, a report showing death dates for a particular population could show all people who died in a location, or it could show a 10-generation family group, or whatever.  The people in the report would differ according to the data source.

Of course, this would work only if a user-defined group was used - but I think it is a helpful idea.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

Choose Options on the Custom Report Designer screen. Enter the Group name in the Report title box.

Or, on the Custom report screen, choose Layout, Page Layout, Header/Footer.

Choose a section and enter the Group name in the box in the right pane.

Any choices made to Layout applies to all Custom reports you print. So, remove the Group name after you print the report.

#3 WandererOTD

WandererOTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

Yes, I considered (and have tried) all of those.  While they do work, they aren't exactly intuitive.

Remembering to do it is one thing, and remembering to clear it is another thing.

If the wrong one were there, it could lead to incorrect conclusions or research direction. 

In keeping with the "wish list" idea, I thought perhaps an additional choice in the configuration of the report - to automatically grab the name of the user-defined group that was used to build it - would be a great aid to users and make things so much more easy to use.

Just a thought - and a recommendation.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:20 AM

Where would you want the Group name to print in the report?

Often, users post wishes and don't know how that wish can already be done in RM. Other users don't know the wish poster is asking for changes that are not currently possible unless the wish poster tells us.

Are you expecting that there will be no discussion of a wish which is posted to this board?

#5 WandererOTD

WandererOTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

I understand - thanks.

I welcome discussion - did not mean to suggest otherwise.

I suggest the group name could print as a sub-title to the report (e.g., "(Report data from named group: xxxxxxxxxx)".

Many thanks.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Custom Report, User-Defined Group