Photo

"Display surnames uppercase" is not global - and should be...

Surnames Formatting Reports Custom Reports

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WandererOTD

WandererOTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

I really like the option to display surnames in uppercase.  Its implementation now in RM 7 isn't complete, and ought to be.

For example, an imported GEDCOM brings data, including surnames, into RM as they were in the GEDCOM file.  In my case, I had some surnames in uppercase, some in regular case.  So then I turned on the "display surnames in uppercase" and it fixed everything for me - in the display part of things. 

I discovered that RM (by default) didn't like surnames in uppercase in the actual fields - although I could ignore this by turning that checkbox off in NameClean.  But it is a good idea to have things standardized.  So then, I ran the NameClean routine to put all surnames in lowercase.  I decided to do this for standardization.  It worked perfectly.

So I thought it would be a global thing - all names would be (in their fields) lowercase, and all surnames would be displayed in uppercase.  That's true....except when I print a custom report.  For some reason, the custom report ignores the display setting I placed in program options.  So, I see the surnames in lowercase.

Suggestion: Make the "surnames in uppercase" option apply to custom reports too.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 WandererOTD

WandererOTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Renee!