• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

I know that you can choose to have the Research Notes and/or Citation Detail Comments appear with citations in a report. However, I would like to be able to include the Source Comments with a citation, so I could include a note about, for example, the readability of a set of digital images, or the quality of compiled genealogy. Is there any way to do this? So far, I haven't found any option to include either the Source Text or Source Comments in citations. I'm not sure what use there might be for Source Comments that only print on the Sources report.

By the way, Legacy Family Tree gives you the option to include any of those four fields -- Source Text, Source Comments, Detail Text, Detail Comments -- in a citation on the source-by-source and citation-by-citation level. That is, there is a check box for each field to specify if it should print with citations. I would like to request that RootsMagic provide this kind of flexibility.

Kathy

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

I agree with this idea (probably should be posted to the Wish List), but I had assumed that this kind of support would only be of interest to source splitters. If such support were to be added to RM and if you tried to use it as a source lumper, I think the notes associated with a Master Source would repeat themselves for every different citation associated with the same Master Source.

As a source splitter myself, I'm considering writing an SQLite script to populate the citation detail notes from the Master Source notes so I can print the notes as a part of citations.

Jerry

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

I don't have anything entered in the Master source text and comment that I want to print in a report other than the Source list report. I take advantage
of the Master source text and comments not being printed in reports.

I have a template in each source for what data should be entered into the Page box for my Free form Source details.

I, also, have a template of what data to enter where in the Source details, Research note and Comment for that type of source.

These two templates can be read in the right pane of the Citation Manager, Edit source screen, while entering Source details

A listing of the media files linked to the Master source.

For censuses, I have a list of the Townships, ED #, and pages for each Township in that State and County.

For censuses, I have a list of head of households linked to that source by the order they are listed in the census, page number, dwelling number, family number, head of household. For a marriage source, the listing is Book, page, date, [couple names].

And, of course, there are comments about the reliability, etc. for some Master sources

If I need any of the data added to the Source details, I can copy it from the Citation manager screen or the right pane of the Citation Manager, Edit source screen without opening the Master source screens.

I definitely would want printing the Master source text and comments in reports to be optional and not automatic.

#4 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

Laura,

You have some interesting ideas for using the Master source text and comments. I hadn't thought about the possibilities. I'll have to think about how I might be able to use these fields.

I agree that I wouldn't want printing those fields to be automatic.

Jerry,

You're probably right about the comments repeating for every citation. Maybe that's not such a good idea after all. I'm probably about midway on the lumper-splitter spectrum, and I'm new to using RootsMagic (long-time Reunion user), so I haven't worked out all the implications yet.

What I've been doing as a workaround is to add an optional "Annotation" master field to each of my source templates, which would print only in the first footnote field. Perhaps a better solution all around than using the Master Source Comments for that purpose.

Thanks to both of you for comments!

Kathy