2 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

One of the issues with the Publish Online websites is that Google is not very good at being able to find things in this format. I'll readily admit that I never learned HTML but was wondering if something like this might work:

<head>
<meta name="keywords" content="
AAron Aardvark (1750-1823),
John Doe (1920-1999),
Zelda Zebra (1570- )
">
</head>

Where you run off a report of everyone you have in your website with just names and the years they lived. You insert this into the header of the index.html file, thereby leading anyone searching to the main page of your website. My only real problem other than not knowing if it would work, is that it would add roughly a megabyte to my index.html file. 

Anyone know HTML well enough to comment. Maybe there's a better way? An extra file that doesn't actually download into the browser but refers the searcher to the index.html file.

#2 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

I've been pleasantly surprised at Google's ability to pick up information from Publish Online.  It's in a more attractive format than the html files I've uploaded to Rootsweb.

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

Well, I did a search on a name that is probably unique to my database and did eventually find it in Google, about three pages down. So, you are correct that Google is indexing the Publish Online data.