• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BCP

BCP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

I want to create a Gedcom that does not include everyone in my database (my database has more than 65,000 persons) and I can't figure out how.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I want to upload the limited gedcom in connection with my dna results, thus I want only my ancestors to be included.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

I create a Group so I can easily see who will be included in the gedcom according to the criteria I used and can mark or unmark people as needed.

Highlight yourself on the Select people screen.

Click on the Mark group tag

Mark Group:

Select Ancestors of hightlighted person

On the Ancestor Options screen:

Enter the number of generations of ancestors. (Use a greater number than the actual number for all of them.)

Choose Direct ancestors only

Click OK, OK

Give the Group a name.

On the Gedcom export screen:

Choose the Group name from the People to include menu. The menu shows Everyone by default.

You can also choose Select from list which brings up the Select People screen and use the same criteria as you would use for a Group.

Make the other choices and click OK.

When submitting a gedcom to a DNA company, the company may want a limited number of facts. Drag and drop your ancestors into a new database using the same search criteria in Select from a list, Select People.

Go to Lists, Fact type list and uncheck Gedcom for each fact you don't want included in the gedcom. Export the gedcom from the new database.

#3 BCP

BCP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

Thank you so much Laura for replying to my topic.  I tried to follow your directions and just did not get anywhere at all.  I am using RM 7, will your instructions for 7?  Also, I would like for all the blood relatives of my ancestors to be included, however, I would just be happy to have the ancestors, if that is all that is possible.  I found the group tag, but I was not able to see the option of ancestors.  I will try again, but I am a relative novice at RM.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

I am using version 7.

Click on the Group icon on the Sidebar.  It is the last icon on the right after the Spouse/Parents labels on the top left of the screen when the Sidebar is open.

This brings up the Named Group screen.

Click on the New button.

This brings up the Select people screen.

Highlight anyone on the list at the left to make sure the focus is on the list if needed.

Begin typing your Surname, Given name. RM will move the focus to your name.

When your name is highllghted, click on the Mark group button at the top left of the screen.

This opens a drop down menu.

Click on Ancestors of highlighted person

This opens the Ancestor options screen.

In the Generations of ancestors box, enter the number of generations of ancestors you want to go back.  For all your ancestors, choose a higher number than you have generations of ancestors.  I enter 32 because I know I don't have that many generations of ancestors.

For Direct Ancestors only, check the Direct ancestors only box.

For direct ancestors and their descendants, check the Ancestors and descendants of ancestors box.

Enter the number of generations of descendants in the Descendant generations box.  Again, if you want all the descendants of the direct ancestors for the number of generation of ancestors that you have already chosen, enter a number of generations greater than what you have in your database.

Click OK

RM will mark people according to your selections.

Click on OK.

This bring up the Enter name for the group screen.  Enter the Group name and click OK.

Close the named Group screen.

With the Group icon selected in the Sidebar, choose the Group from the dropdown menu below the Groups label.  Check out who was marked to make sure you don't need to make adjustments to the Group.

Go to File, Export.

Choose the Group from the People to include drop down menu.

Those are the people, which you have already chosen in the Group, that will be exported in the gedcom.

Go to File, Export.

On the People to export drop down menu, select the name of the Group.

Make the other choices on that screen and click on OK.

There are free Webinars on RootsMagic's main website. Choose Webinars from the Learn dropdown menu.

There are also videos on RootsMagicTV on YouTube.

And, also, help in the Help file in RootsMagic.

It helps to train ourselves to read screens carefully and click on any buttons and drop down menu selections we don't know the uses for. There is nowhere in RM that you don't have a Cancel button to back out of a screen.