38 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8727 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

Development updated me today on the progress in fixing the floating point error. It appears it is coming from the web browser that CrossOver is using in the MacBridge, since the Windows version uses an enbedded IE browser and that won't work on a Mac.  So progress is they know where it is coming from, but not why some people get a random floating point error and others get multiple ones.  They need to understand what causes this difference.

First off, let me mentioned I have a very limited knowledge about using a Mac computer. So if I interpret things wrong please be patient with my ignorance.

What development wants to know right now is if the people that receive multiple floating point error message are running RootsMagic on a Mac with retina display.

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Renee, I'm replying to the post that showed up in my emails, but I don't see the text of it here.  

Yes, both my husband and I have retina displays - both using MacBook Pros - and both of us get multiple floating point error messages.   My husband gets a lot more than I do, but I get quite a few.

I'm delighted to hear that development is on this and has had some success in pinpointing the source of the trouble.    A huge THANK YOU to your team.  

Peggy

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

Development updated me today on the progress in fixing the floating point error. It appears it is coming from the web browser that CrossOver is using in the MacBridge, since the Windows version uses an enbedded IE browser and that won't work on a Mac.  So progress is they know where it is coming from, but not why some people get a random floating point error and others get multiple ones.  They need to understand what causes this difference.

First off, let me mentioned I have a very limited knowledge about using a Mac computer. So if I interpret things wrong please be patient with my ignorance.

What development wants to know right now is if the people that receive multiple floating point error message are running RootsMagic on a Mac with retina display.

Well, just to confuse things, I've only had one of the errors over the past several weeks. At one time it was very common and would occur without any provocation, and multiple times, but that seems some time ago. Am using a retina iMac.

If IE isn't being used - and I thought that there was an imbedded version of IE that got installed with RM when RM was installed under the full version of CrossOver - then maybe the question of which browser is being used as the default on the Mac also comes into play. Certainly CrossOver has a setting whereby it can be set to use the default Mac browser rather than the "internal" IE for web access.

I use Firefox as my default browser.

#4 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

I use Firefox, and my husband uses Safari - in case that information is useful.

#5 allanpeter

allanpeter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:18 AM

I am using a standard 27" iMac with no retina display, and I am getting frequent floating point error messages.  I use the Safari browser.

#6 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

I am running MacBridge on a MacBook Pro (early 2011) without retina display. When I first upgraded MacBridge to RootsMagic 7, for a while - several days - I got no floating point error messages. Then the errors suddenly resumed and have continued since. I use FireFox as my default browser.

#7 bem

bem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

I am running MacBride on an iMac 27" with no retina display. I get the floating point errors all the time. Got a couple today.

#8 Dave Simmer

Dave Simmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

We have two Macs without retina displays and one MacBook Pro with retina display.  All of them have the same errors and freeze or lockup problems.  One has to enter information in sources quickly or the problem happens.  I have used Reuion for years and was always happy with the UI.  RootsMagic has a real leg up when it comes to sources.  This is the only reason that I have purchased RootsMagic and MacBridge.  But like some many Windows programs, one has to beg and plead to get work done.  These errors and lockups make it very difficult to get things done.  I only wish we had a time line for when a Mac version of RootsMagic will be available and also if I do all of this work in the program will it be transferrable.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8727 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

I only wish we had a time line for when a Mac version of RootsMagic will be available and also if I do all of this work in the program will it be transferrable.

We always make sure older versions of RootsMagic are transferable into new versions. This will be the same for the PC and native Mac version when it comes out. You can use MacBridge for RootsMagic 7 and still open the same database in RootsMagic on a PC. We never give out time frames when new versions come out. Its only released when its ready.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Errorjean

Errorjean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

I have experienced the same "INVALID FLOATING POINT ERROR" message many times during an hour, for at least the last six months, rendering RM7 (Mac-Bridge) useless.  I always choose "SEND ERROR TO RM".  Is RM Headquarters really receiving all my error messages?  No retina display-imac-OSX Yosemite, Ver 10.10.2-Safari.

Listed below is also another error message I have received many times.  It shows up with six tabs and this below is the information on the first tab.

EurekaLog 6.1.04

Application:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.1 Start Date      : Sun, 12 Apr 2015 07:38:35 -0700

1.2 Name/Description: RootsMagic.exe - (RootsMagic Genealogy Software)

1.3 Version Number  : 7.0.5.0

1.4 Parameters      :

1.5 Compilation Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 09:42:50 -0700

1.6 Up Time         : 1 hour, 3 minutes, 13 seconds

Exception:

-------------------------------------------------------

2.1 Date          : Sun, 12 Apr 2015 08:41:49 -0700

2.2 Address       :

2.3 Module Name   : xul.dll

2.4 Module Version: 24.0.0.5015

2.5 Type          : EInvalidOp

2.6 Message       : Invalid floating point operation.

2.7 ID            : B881

2.8 Count         : 1

2.9 Status        : New

2.10 Note         :

User:

-------------------------------------------------------

3.1 ID        :

3.2 Name      :

3.3 Email     :

3.4 Company   :

3.5 Privileges: SeChangeNotifyPrivilege         - ON

SeSecurityPrivilege             - OFF

SeBackupPrivilege               - OFF

SeRestorePrivilege              - OFF

SeSystemtimePrivilege           - OFF

SeShutdownPrivilege             - OFF

SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege       - OFF

SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege        - OFF

SeDebugPrivilege                - OFF

SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege    - OFF

SeSystemProfilePrivilege        - OFF

SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege - OFF

SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege - OFF

SeLoadDriverPrivilege           - ON

SeCreatePagefilePrivilege       - OFF

SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege        - OFF

SeUndockPrivilege               - OFF

SeManageVolumePrivilege         - OFF

SeImpersonatePrivilege          - ON

SeCreateGlobalPrivilege         - ON

Active Controls:

---------------------------------------

4.1 Form Class   : #32769

4.2 Form Text    :

4.3 Control Class: TmbMagicMemoryList

4.4 Control Text :

Computer:

------------------------------------------------------------------

5.1 Name          :

5.2 Total Memory  : 2048 Mb

5.3 Free Memory   : 850 Mb

5.4 Total Disk    : 1035.47 Gb

5.5 Free Disk     : 874.34 Gb

5.6 System Up Time: 2 hours, 23 minutes, 52 seconds

5.7 Processor     : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

5.8 Display Mode  : 1280 x 720, 32 bit

5.9 Display DPI   : 96

5.10 Video Card   : X11 Windowing System (driver )

5.11 Printer      : HP_Color_LaserJet_CP2025n__8D41E0_ (driver )

Operating System:

------------------------------------

6.1 Type    : Microsoft Windows XP

6.2 Build # : 2600

6.3 Update  : Service Pack 3

6.4 Language: English

6.5 Charset : 0

Network:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 sunshinedaisy66

sunshinedaisy66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

I am getting the same error. Today it was twice while I was trying to enter a long source. I was not cutting and pasting as another person was.  After losing my data twice, I'm going to use MacFamily Tree for now. I have three days that I was going to get caught up on sourcing, and I don't think I can get it done with RM.  I'll continue to check back.  I have a macbook pro with Retina display, but I'm not sure that that matters. I am currently using RM7 with MacBridge, and really am frustrated because I was told in 2011 at the Genealogy Conference that a Mac Version would be coming out in the next year, and since then, I have tried Crossover and now this.  As much as I would prefer to use RM, I think I am about to give up.  It is so frustrating...:(

#12 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:33 AM

......... and since then, I have tried Crossover and now ........:(

I'm certainly not suffering these problems under CroosOver. I've been using the RM - FTFS interface very heavily for the last several weeks without any real problems. I have never had this error under CrossOver (but off and on under MacBridge). Given the silence from others, I guess other CrossOver users also aren't suffering this problem.

I leave RM (V7) running for days, and the only issue is when RM has lost it's connection to FSFT, usually overnight, probably because the latter has been restarted. Going to Family Search Central and logging out and then in again, and everything works just fine without needing to restart RM.

#13 Marina Garrison

Marina Garrison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

I'm also getting this error. No retina - running on iMac Summer 2010. 

I have noticed this seems to happen primarily when switching to another window and then switching back.

I have run all the db tools and have no errors.

I think the reason this happens so much with Sources, is that we usually are referring to another window to copy data and so the focus switches between windows.

However, I can generate this error even with just the pedigree open and switching to another window (e.g. Safari/Chrome).

#14 sunshinedaisy66

sunshinedaisy66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

I'm certainly not suffering these problems under CroosOver. I've been using the RM - FTFS interface very heavily for the last several weeks without any real problems. I have never had this error under CrossOver (but off and on under MacBridge). Given the silence from others, I guess other CrossOver users also aren't suffering this problem.

I leave RM (V7) running for days, and the only issue is when RM has lost it's connection to FSFT, usually overnight, probably because the latter has been restarted. Going to Family Search Central and logging out and then in again, and everything works just fine without needing to restart RM.

JP- So are you suggesting I should just go back to using Crossover? I had some issues with that too, but now it's been awhile, so I don't recall what they were, specifically.  For me part of the issue, is I have a MAC because I like using a MAC, and adding Crossover seemed to complicate things... I don't want to go on too much on the MacBridge line of discussion, but I am truly about over it.  I want a program that works, period.  

#15 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:11 AM

JP- So are you suggesting I should just go back to using Crossover? I had some issues with that too, but now it's been awhile, so I don't recall what they were, specifically.  For me part of the issue, is I have a MAC because I like using a MAC, and adding Crossover seemed to complicate things... I don't want to go on too much on the MacBridge line of discussion, but I am truly about over it.  I want a program that works, period.

Well, the choice is yours. Given the overall costs of a Mac (or even a PC), the additional cost seems relatively small to me if it enables successful use of RM. And it saves me the cost and effort of Parallels or its equivalents. And (one shouldn't start sentences with "and") the limitations, such as no RM-to-Go and not much of the Help function, are acceptable to me.

My experience with both RM6 and more recently RM7 has been very good under CrossOver. I was originally on a 2008 iMac that was starting to struggle with all the software I had added over the years, but I switched to a new Retina iMac towards the end of last year that is incredibly fast in comparison (helped by the Fusion drive - an SSD/hard drive combination).

There were a few niggles in getting CrossOver going, but I'm sure there are people here who can help with some of the more obvious issues that might arise.

From my perspective, the main advantages over MacBridge are the elimination of the addressing exception problem and an ability to change the DPI setting for the "Windows machine". I think the latter is important because it allows one to adjust the size of the fonts in the parts of RM that are not altered by the Fonts settings in RM. Otherwise these can be too small to be comfortably usable.

Just to come clean, I do occasionally suffer from RM just hanging, with the only way out being a Mac Force Quit (which just kills RM, not CrossOver). I usually just restart the RM bottle (virtual machine) if that happens and continue. Sometimes I have run the database utilities at that stage but they usually run clean.

What causes this hang? Well, I'm not sure. Sometimes it is as though I had tried to click something whilst RM was going up a level from one of the deeper panels, and in the past it has been because the connection to FSFT has hung. However, more recently I seem to have been able to recover from the latter (which I have been using very heavily) without needing to restart RM by just getting to Family Search Central and logging off and then on again.

Hope this helps a little.

#16 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:25 AM

Probably a bit late noticing this.

Hadn't been using MacBridge for some time because of the floating point error messages AND the keyboard shortcuts seeming inconsistent.

Yes I have a retina display

FWIW default browser is Firefox.

Just switched back to Macbridge to see how it was behaving - still too many floating point error messages, so scurrying back to RM7 under parallels.

#17 KarenR

KarenR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

No retina display- completely new to RM, have only used under MacBridge.  Floating point error messages quite often.

#18 BigBill605

BigBill605

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

I get multiple floating point error messages and I have a MacBook Pro with a retina display and use Safari.  My wife has the same computer model, with retina display, and uses Firefox as her browser and she also gets multiple floating point errors.  

I find that the floating point errors occur when I have Roots Magic open, but am temporarily working in another program, usually Safari (to access Family Tree or Scotlands People).  I go back to Roots Magic and find that I have received a floating point error.  It happens with great regularity.  

Thanks for looking at this problem.  

#19 Geluardi

Geluardi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

I am also on a MacBook Pro retina, using MacBridge, and I get the floating point error message all day long.  As for the others, it happens when I have Roots Magic open but leave to use another program. I find that if i have not tapped "save", the information I was working on IS LOST. 

Anne 

#20 sarahstayson

sarahstayson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

Im having the same problem, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with Retina display - for me it occurs when the programme has been dormant for several minutes (such as while looking at a census in Safari or similar).

It happens with no other applications running (we use another Windows PC for transferring information from legacy systems with the plan of using RM for everything).

In my opinion, this is clearly a fault in the programming and specifically the windows emulation chosen to run the programme within a Mac environment, perhaps what needs to happen is to have the programme properly written for MAC, I was disappointed when it was installed as what appears to just be a emulation to make it work on Mac rather than PC.

Ps. MacMini with VGA display, Mac OS 10.10.3 with RM 7.0.5.0 and incidentally - doubt very much if the programme running is ran at c:\Programme Files\RootsMagic 7\RootsMagic.exe