4 replies to this topic

#1 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Recently I was able to order a couple of marriage allegations from the Borthwick Institute at the University of York. The Borthwick holds the archives of the York Diocese.  When a couple wanted to obtain a marriage license instead of marrying by banns, the groom had to make oath about their names and ages and residences (and in older years, would also have to swear to pay if the marriage did not occur, ie. a marriage bond). If the bride was underage, there also had to be a note of consent from a surviving parent, etc.

Anyway, I am trying to determine how best to cite this. Even though I have a printed copy of the allegation from microfilm, I do not have a microfilm number for example.  The index entry from the database on findmypast.com does reference a sequence number and page number but I do not know if that refers to a book or a microfilm or a box (as these documents were originally in about 700 boxes).

Also, note that for gedcom compatibility I am sticking to free-form or TomH's my freeform 3.

So...this is my rough draft. Comments?

"Matrimonial Records: Marriage Bonds and Allegations", Records of the Archbishop of York, York Diocesan Archives, Borthwick Institute for Archives, University of York. "groom" and "bride", "allegation/license date".

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

It could be argued that you should also reference where/when you found it. That said, a google on the master source description "Matrimonial... University of York" does return an excellent reference that would help others track it down it via http://www.archivesh...s/05090101.html albeit having no mention of FindMyPast thus making it harder than it need be.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Well, the Borthwick Institute is where the marriage allegation is found. That is, I ordered it online via their copy service.

Now, findmypast has an index to the marriage allegations which *is* how *I* knew to order the allegation from the Borthwick, but findmypast is only an index. And if someone were lucky enough to live close to the Borthwick, they could visit and not use findmypast at all.

So basically, for the marriage license fact I have two sources.  The first for the index. This database does provide the names, parishes, and date of the license. But it is an index only...no images of the actual document. This is the citation I created for the index. It is not exactly EE compliant, but...

Yorkshire, Archbishop of York Marriage licenses index, 1613-1839. Online index, FindMyPast (http://findmypast.com), accessed 31 Jan 2015; John Hunter and Elizabeth Wardell, 03 Aug 1835.

And the second source for the actual allegation. Well, a copy of the microfilmed original anyway.

"Matrimonial Records: Marriage Bonds and Allegations", Records of the Archbishop of York, York Diocesan Archives, Borthwick Institute for Archives, University of York. John Hunter and Elizabeth Wardell, 03 Aug 1835.

I guess I am confused because it sounds like you think I should reference findmypast for the actual allegation? But findmypast is only an index and doesn't have images of the allegations.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

My error - by the time I read your citation, I forgot your opening sentence and mistakenly conflated the image with FindMyPast. So, now, I think your citation is adequate without question.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

Ok, thanks so much for taking a look!