• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Odette

Odette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

I have just joined the forum so I may not be in the right place with my query.
I tried to download my tree to Dropbox on the 42 webinar. But was not successful. I then downloaded it on my iPad,device.
This was alright but I cannot add data which I believe you can on Dropbox.
Thank you, Odette.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

The RootsMagic App is read only so you cannot edit your data inside the app. The desktop version is where the changes need to be made. Then you upload that database again to the app to stay current.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Odette

Odette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:43 AM

I have downloaded my tree from drop box to my iPad but when I went back on my computer on the left hand pane
of the page each family name was repeated four times. Can you tell me please how I delete the ones I don't want?
Thank you.
Odette.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

Where is the duplication on the RM App or on your desktop?

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Odette

Odette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

On my desk top

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

Are you live editing the RMGC file that is stored on Dropbox inside your desktop program?  It could have cause some corruption. Move it out of that folder and only store the copy in the Dropbox folder for the App. The go to File>Database Tools and run all options there. If you receive errors then run them a second time. If the corruption is to bad then you need to restore from a backup.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Odette

Odette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:32 AM

Thank you Renee, problem solved.
Regards,
Odette.

#8 kretman

kretman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

I've been trying for days to get my RM file database to sync with my iPad app via Dropbox but keep getting message
Cannot open url http so://api.dropbox.com/1/oauth/req

I emailed RM but the person assigned has done nothing to help &I its been 6 days.

Anyone know what the problem is?
Michael

#9 kretman

kretman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

Sorry iPad auto corrected https://

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Inside RM6 & & you can use File>Save to Dropbox for Apps to get the RMGC file in the correct Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder. Then inside the app you click on Files to download it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 kretman

kretman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

I downloaded the free RM7 but after doing all those steps you outlined I still get the error message

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

See if you can open Dropbox independent of RootsMagic on your device.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 kretman

kretman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

Yes I can. I have put photos in Dropbox with no problem.

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

I think the same support person you were talking to was asking about this issue in our Staff Meeting today. I learned that the message you are receiving means that something is blocking Dropbox access. There is probably something on the network you are using that is denying it access. You should be getting a support ticket from Jason on this and the things to try.

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 bob.m

bob.m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

I'm just trying to set up the RM app on my iPad, and will subsequently do so on my Droid phone. However when I go to file on my RM desktop, there is no "File>Save to Dropbox for Apps" option.  I'm runniing ElCapitan on my iMac and have the latest version of RM 7 for Mac, including the latest build of the Mac Bridge app.

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

RootsMagic for Mac does not have that option. Install the Dropbox app on your iPad and then try to open it inside the RM App. (It will be empty) It will create the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder that you need to put your file in.  In RootsMagic  use File>Copy File and select that folder to save it to. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 bob.m

bob.m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, Renee, but it wouldn't work quite the way you suggested. When I tried to open DropBox in the RM App, it just kept going back to the original instructions; I was unable to get it to create any of the folders you suggested.  But the problem is now resolved and I have my database running on the RM App.  I did it by opening Dropbox on my desktop, creating the proper folders there and adding the one RM database file I work with.  When Dropbox synced, voila, there it was.  But I thank you as always for your prompt and great service!

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5491 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:50 AM

I think Renee assumed that you already had set up the main Dropbox folder on your Mac, which would have allowed the folder the iPad RM app creates to have propagated through the server to your Mac. But if you had not done so, then the RMapp folder would have gotten only as far as the server, which is sufficient for the Windows application but not for the Mac. That is, you do not need a local Dropbox folder in Windows for the Save to Dropbox for Apps feature to function - it uploads directly to that folder on the server. 

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.