5 replies to this topic

#1 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

It would be nice to have the option to import the TMG ID as the RootsMagic RIN instead of dumping it in a Ref No field.

I know Tom Holden has created a SQL script to do this, but that requires downloading a SQLite package to run it.

Updated - I just did a GEDCOM import from TMG and it brings in the correct ID number. It's just the direct import that is using some other number. 

#2 altenbernd

altenbernd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

I would like to see this too.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

With the direct import and GEDCOM handling the numbers differently it sounds like there is an option for different users preferences.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

With the direct import and GEDCOM handling the numbers differently it sounds like there is an option for different users preferences.

Renee,

That is true, but from what I understand, the direct import does a better job, and I would think you would want consistency in the import processes.

Thanks,

Larry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

It would have to be an option during the import process then. Because once you establish how the numbers import it would cause to much confusion on the people used to it this way.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

It would have to be an option during the import process then. Because once you establish how the numbers import it would cause to much confusion on the people used to it this way.

I would agree. It would only be used on the initial import of the TMG data, but I suspect anyone that uses these IDs in their document filing systems and/or online trees (like RootsWeb) would want to retain the TMG visible IDs. Going forward, added people would just use the next available RootsMagic RIN without any problems.