8 replies to this topic

#1 gmartell

gmartell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

This may a bit long...

I'm new to RootsMagic and a TMG refugee.  I've been away from my family genealogy since about 1990 and recently got back into it after my father passed away this past fall.  I got back into it just after wholly genes stopped selling TMG, so I was stuck with v6.  This was installed on an old laptop that died so i had no way to run TMG to clean up my database to move to another program.

Luckily, I was able to pull my old data files from the hard drive and was able to import it into RM.  Version 6 was the first version that used a database structure that could be imported into RM. (Got lucky!!)  So with an early TMG version inconsistencies and how I entered/cited data back in the past has me on the journey of cleaning up my database.

In the process, I seem to have some phantom citations.  I printed the sources to find where a specific citation as used and replaced it with my new one.  I found them all except four that were tied to a ChildParent tag without any other data.  So it wasn't obvious who they were tied to.  The four show up when I search everywhere, but that only allows you to edit the citation.  I tried using the explorer with various serach permutations but that didn't find anything.

So what are my next steps?  I tried all the database tools - but the seemingly unconnected citations still show up. If they were truly phantoms wouldn't the database tools remove them>

thanks

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

I found them all except four that were tied to a ChildParent tag without any other data.  

Just to clarify, are you saying that the four phantom citations showed up when you did Lists->Source List..., highlighted a particular Master Source, and then clicked the Print button? If so, then the resultant list of citations should show the Record number (also called the RIN number) for each person, and that number can be used to find the person with the citation.

Jerry

#3 gmartell

gmartell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Just to clarify, are you saying that the four phantom citations showed up when you did Lists->Source List..., highlighted a particular Master Source, and then clicked the Print button? If so, then the resultant list of citations should show the Record number (also called the RIN number) for each person, and that number can be used to find the person with the citation.

Jerry

I didn't catch that the RINs were there for the people in the citation.  I see those on other citations but not these four. (I don't know how to post a screen shot here)

Which I think means they are not connected to anyone.  I know I can make them go away by deleting the master source and ignoring the warning that they are used.  I would think these should be cleaned up by the Phantom Records tool in database tools.

thanks,

gregg

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

At the risk of some loss of formatting, try a drag'n'drop of everybody from your database to a new current database. Beforehand, make sure that all fact types are activated for GEDCOM.

Alternatively, have a look at http://sqlitetoolsfo...Delete Phantoms

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:18 AM

This may a bit long...

I'm new to RootsMagic and a TMG refugee.  I've been away from my family genealogy since about 1990 and recently got back into it after my father passed away this past fall.  I got back into it just after wholly genes stopped selling TMG, so I was stuck with v6.  This was installed on an old laptop that died so i had no way to run TMG to clean up my database to move to another program.

Luckily, I was able to pull my old data files from the hard drive and was able to import it into RM.  Version 6 was the first version that used a database structure that could be imported into RM. (Got lucky!!)  So with an early TMG version inconsistencies and how I entered/cited data back in the past has me on the journey of cleaning up my database.

In the process, I seem to have some phantom citations.  I printed the sources to find where a specific citation as used and replaced it with my new one.  I found them all except four that were tied to a ChildParent tag without any other data.  So it wasn't obvious who they were tied to.  The four show up when I search everywhere, but that only allows you to edit the citation.  I tried using the explorer with various serach permutations but that didn't find anything.

So what are my next steps?  I tried all the database tools - but the seemingly unconnected citations still show up. If they were truly phantoms wouldn't the database tools remove them>

thanks

I am having the same issue after a GEDCOM import from TMG.

All sources were brought over as free-form and I wanted to replace them with RM formatted sources. I printed out the citations for a source I wanted to replace:

Source List

_AF™ Angell-Pritchett

Footnote: Compiler: Angle, Allie Bayard, William Angell-Ann Pritchett Family Group Record, Version: 4.19, File Number: 1W8Q-L0T and 1W8Q-LDB (2006)
Citations:
1. , Elinor (w\ John Angell) (Name).. Quality: Unknown

2. , Elinor (w\ John Angell)-12641 (Ancestral File Number).. Quality: Unknown 3. Angell, Ann (Name).. Quality: Unknown
4. Angell, Elinor (Name).. Quality: Unknown
5. Angell, John (Name).. Quality: Unknown

6. Angell, John-12642 (Ancestral File Number).. Quality: Unknown
7. Angell, John-12642 and , Elinor (w\ John Angell)-12641 (Marriage).. Quality: Unknown 8. Angell, William (Name).. Quality: Unknown
9. Angell, William (Name).. Quality: Unknown
10. Angell, William-11952 (Ancestral File Number).. Quality: Unknown
11. Angell, William-11952 (Birth).. Quality: Unknown
12. Angell, William-11952 (Death).. Quality: Unknown
13. Angell, William-12619 (Ancestral File Number).. Quality: Unknown
14. Angell, William-12619 (Birth).. Quality: Unknown
15. Angell, William-12619 and Pritchett, Ann-12618 (Marriage).. Quality: Unknown
16. Pritchett, Ann (Name).. Quality: Unknown
17. Pritchett, Ann-12618 (Ancestral File Number).. Quality: Unknown
18. Pritchett, Ann-12618 (Birth).. Quality: Unknown
19. Pritchett, John (Name).. Quality: Unknown
20. Pritchett, John-12640 (Ancestral File Number).. Quality: Unknown 

Note that most of the citations display the RIN, but some just say (name). After going into each of the persons listed and removing this source. I reprint the citations to ensure all have been removed and get this:

Source List

_AF™ Angell-Pritchett

Footnote: Compiler: Angle, Allie Bayard, William Angell-Ann Pritchett Family Group Record, Version: 4.19, File Number: 1W8Q-L0T and 1W8Q-LDB (2006)
Citations:
1. , Elinor (w\ John Angell) (Name).. Quality: Unknown

2. Angell, John (Name).. Quality: Unknown
3. Angell, William (Name).. Quality: Unknown

4. Angell, William (Name).. Quality: Unknown

5. Pritchett, Ann (Name).. Quality: Unknown

6. Pritchett, John (Name).. Quality: Unknown 

All of the citations that are followed by (name) instead of RIN remain and there appears to be no way to remove them. I saw Tom's suggestion to use SQL to remove them, but that shouldn't be necessary. Either the GEDCOM import shouldn't have created them or they should be maintainable (including removal).

Is this something that will be fixed in a future update?

Thanks,

Larry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

You would need to open a support ticket and send a backup of the database so development and look into it.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

You would need to open a support ticket and send a backup of the database so development and look into it.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Hi Renee,

I just tried, but got a message that the file is too large. Is there another means of sending a backup?

Larry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

On your support ticket let them know the file is to large and they will send you a link for where you can upload the file.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

On your support ticket let them know the file is to large and they will send you a link for where you can upload the file.

Thank you :)