• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gmattins

gmattins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

I am a new RM user (I had been using FOW through 5 versions).  In FOW, I often entered marriage dates as first, second or third.  I know I can "Rearrange" spouses so the first one appears first in any books and the second one appears second, etc.  However, I like to add certainty by having the books say:  George Smith married Ruth Jones first.  However, when I type first in the date field, RM changes this to 1... and changes second to 2.

Is there a way to use text (first, second, third) for the date of marriage?

#2 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

I sometimes enter a marriage note when I encounter folks with multiple spouses.  "His 1st. Her 2nd." "Her 2nd (widow)."  Or something along those lines. 

In the absence of some or all dates, you can arrange the marriages in correct order by using the sort date, and then add your notes.

I doubt there's a functionality to automatically supply ordinal numbering.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

FOW lacked the more robust date validation of present-day RM.
I don't have any old versions of FOW to check, but I bet if you entered 1st it would be changed to 1 . (That's what early RM versions do)
All older versions leave unrecognized text as entered. For example, one could enter banana instead of first and it would remain in the field.
You certainly could forego the validity of the date block and simply type first with some surrounding or attached punctuation like -first- ,'first', *first or whatever ...then enter a valid Sort Date to bring the order into line with the others.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Even if first was put in the Date field or even the Description field, which one of the spouses would first refer to.

If I imported someone else's gedcom with first in the date or description, I would have no idea which spouse it applied to or really what the other researcher was trying to convey.

The Marriage fact is a Family fact and the sentence applies to both spouses.

The sentence could be customized to use [Husband] and [Wife] instead of [Couple] and the date or description inserted in the appropriate place in the sentence if the user could come up with a sentence that made sense.

I can't come up with a sentence that reads very well except the regular Marriage fact sentence with a second sentence stating the number of the marriage for which spouse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: date, first, second, format