4 replies to this topic

#1 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

I was just trying to copy a person from one file into another through Files>Compare Files.  I copied a husband and wife from File A to File B.  Then, I went into File B to connect them to their son and each other, and had these problems:

1. Sources - sources were not copied over, and Memorize does not work between files.  I really need the Sources to be copied over.

2. The Marriage tag wasn't copied over. I attached the parents to the child in File B, selecting the existing father and mother that I copied from File A to File B.  It asked me if I wanted to add a Marriage Event.  I said Yes and filled in the date and place, but there isn't a Marriage Event tag listed on the husband or wife.  The mother is listed as the father's spouse, but there is no Marriage Event tag/fact.  I tried to add it manually, but couldn't.  (I clicked Add a Fact, Marriage, but a duplicate of one of the other events appeared (BDBu, etc.) instead.   

3. Since Sources weren't copied over, I'm guessing Notes wouldn't be copied either.

4.  It'd really be nice if the Media was copied over as well.

Kim D

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

If you are dragging and dropping a single individual none of their family facts, including marriage will come over with them. If you select to include descendants and spouses for 1 generation, you will get the husband and wife with their family facts.  The sources should come over with the facts. The only reason I can think they didn't is because they were part of the family facts.

You cannot memorize or paste sources between databases. You can only drag people over - what's attached to them should come over too.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

I used Compare Files and I can see now that that caused the problems.  When I searched in RM Help, the Compare Files method was the only one that came up.  (I searched for "copy person to another file".)  After reading your post, Renee, I searched for Drag and Drop.  When I used Drag & Drop as you suggested, it worked very well.  It would be nice if you knew in advance how many people were going to be copied over, so you can have a chance to back out.  I did one copy that I thought was going to be about 12 people and it added 100.  Ooops!  Either advance warning or an undo would be nice.  I will, however, be more careful in the future!  Drag & Drop is a really nice feature!  I'm grateful for it.  

Would you maybe want to put some kind of warning or referral on the Compare Files method?  Or fix it so it does work?  And maybe fix it so the Drag & Drop method would come up when someone searches for "copy person to another file" in RM Help?    I'll use Drag & Drop from now on, but others may run into the same problem I did with the Compare Files method.

Thanks Renee!

Kim D

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Compare File doesn't handle relationships right now. We are still working on that part of it.

I'll add your suggestion on searching "copy person to another file" in the tracking system for RM Help enhancement.

The best thing to do before a drag n drop is a backup. That is the only "Undo" feature for RootsMagic.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

You would think that by now I would be better about doing backups. :wacko:   Must do better!  

Kim D