• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 URABUS

URABUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

Can someone please explain why some entered Facts do not appear on a NR. For example my Wife's marriage to me, her previous marriage and divorce (all entered facts under her name) do not appear.

Also can you tell me if RM narratives are supposed to show marriages only under the male and not the female (perhaps this is to reduce the perceived duplication of the information in the NR?).

What entered facts  are omitted in NRs?

Would greatly appreciate help on this one as so far I have not had any clarification from RM Support in a week.

Thank you

Les

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

1. You didn't say which Narrative Report you are using - that might matter.

2. It is possible that some Fact Types have been set to not be displayed in Narrative Reports.

Go to Help and search for "Design new fact types"

3. If you ran a Narrative Report starting from yourself, then your wife's previous marriage & divorce would not be shown, since they did not involve you.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:20 AM

As zhangrau pointed out, you didn't mention which narrative report you are using. But let's guess it's a Descendant report, and many of the same things happen on an Ancestor report.

There is no specific male vs. female preference in a narrative report, but there is sort of a "preference" (if you could call it that) with respect to which line is being shown. Supppose John Doe is married to Jane Smith and that both had previous spouses. A descendant report starting with John Doe will include all his spouses including Jane Smith, but will not include Jane's other spouses. A Descendant report starting with Jane Smith will include all her spouses including John Doe, but will not include John's other spouses.

The same principle applies when a person appears as a descendant in the report rather than as the start person. In this same scenario, a report starting with John's father Samuel Doe will include John Doe and all his spouses including Jane Smith, but will not include Jane's other spouses. A report starting with Jane's father William Smith will include Jane Smith and all her spouses including John Doe, but will not include John's other spouses.

The ability to include these other spouses in narrative reports is a much wished for feature for RM, including by me. However, I confess I'm not sure how such a report should really look.

Jerry

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

Using Shared facts, you can share the marriage fact for Jane's other spouses with Jane herself as the Sharee.

The marriage to the other spouses will print in Jane's record in the Narrative report.

Or, you could create a user defined fact, Spouse(s). Link the fact to Jane and enter the spouses in the description in the order of marriage and enter marriqge dates and places in the note. You could add the children Jane had by each spouse in the note.

Description: (1) James Smith (2) John Doe (3) Charles Jones

This is also a useful fact to add to a Custom report you are going to use for research, I.e. cemeteries or marriages. This has helped me find women buried with another husband's surname and a man's wives buried with his surname.

#5 purple

purple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

I have the same thing as URABUS.

I am a brand new user.  Trying things out.  I have not modified anything or done anything fancy.  This does not involve multiple marriages.

I entered myself, my husband, our marriage and my parents and their marriage and my grand parents and their marriage.

I ran the narrative report on myself.  Just the standard one from the menu (ancestor narrative)

My marriage does not report.

My parent's marriage reports on my father, but not my mother.

My grandparent's marriage reports on my grandfather but not my grandmother.

So, what's up?

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

I don't know why the highlighted person's family facts are not included as events in that person's life except the report is focused on being a report of that person's ancestors. My spouses and children aren't really relevant to my ancestors.

Share the marriage fact for the highlighted person with the highlighted person, and the fact will print in the report. If you also want the birth of children to be in the report, share the Birth fact of each child with the highlighted person.

When I used to type an Ancestor Narrative report on a typewriter, I added the family facts to only one spouse of the ancestors to save paper and ink.

Adding family facts to both spouses could easily add a page or two or maybe more to the report depending on the number of generations of ancestors and the length of any notes.

Printing the family facts twice would be redundant.

#7 purple

purple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Laura.  I'm just a beginner and I want to understand how best to do the data entry up front so that I don't have to go back and redo it later.  I appreciate your patience with me.