• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mdriscol

mdriscol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

When I first began to use RootsMagic I set all my media files to "Image" when I attached them to source citations.  I have since discovered that I really wanted to attach them as a "file" so I could double click on them an open the file, something you can't do when they are an "image."

Using SQLite, can I just change a media file's MediaType in the MultimediaTable to "2" instead of "1" and that will mean RootsMagic will now recognize the media files as a "file" instead of an "image"?

Thanks,

Mark

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Yes. See Media Type Reset for queries that you could modify for your purpose.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 mdriscol

mdriscol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Thanks, Tom.

Mark

#4 richardbattell

richardbattell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

Firstly I love roots Magic, I have tried Family Tree Maker and Family Historian and discarded them for Roots Magic. The clincher for Roots Magic is the ability to send a CD to family members.

Using the SQLite option to change source document from image to file is clever, but all it does is fix one problem and create another.  If I use the "file" option, I can open files with external software, but in the "Media Album" screen, one cannot see a thumbnail image, just a symbol. I know we have a caption for the file, but images and captions are much easier to locate quickly.

It seems the real answer is to reprogram Roots Magic, so that Image files can be opened in an external browser and still show the thumbnail in the Media Album view. 

The "file fix" is okay as far as it goes, but it removes the thumbnail view. I find it easier to see a "thumbnail" in the Media, rather than a symbol.

As I am progressing through my family history, I send discs to some other family members, and they all do not like the way one cannot open an image file in the software of choice. They can only view the images from the CD I send them, and the internal viewer is unwieldy.

My family history is very much a job in progress and I find it tiresome to leave Roots Magic to go to an external programme for image manipulation. Once I have finished all images (probably in 50 years time) I would not need an external viewer.

I hope this improvement could be added shortly.

Is it possible that this request could be added to a list of "enhancements".

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 richardbattell

richardbattell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Dear Renee - thank you for your prompt reply.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: image, file, SQLite, change, media file