#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

Using MacBook Pro & RM7 with MacBridge

In adding info in the detailed area of my sources & want to add the superscript numbers, I am stuck at 3.

Even if I copy & paste, the superscripted numbers convert to regular sized numbers. Have tried right clicking where I want the superscripted number, selecting "character map" from the drop down window, then can only find "0", "1", "2" or "3" to use for superscript. Can not find under any font &/or subset any superscript number higher than 3.

I would REALLY like to have all the numbers that are supposed to be superscript to be so, it is especially annoying when there is supposed to be a superscript number after a date. ie: instead of 20150, it should be 2015˚ (can not do this if the superscripted number is greater than 3)

Suggestions?

Thanks so much

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8722 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

RootsMagic doesn't support superscript so that is why you don't see it in the Character Map.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

I use the character map for my superscript & subscripts. May I respectfully suggest you review the character map yourself so you can see that there are no superscripts higher than 3.

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

I can't speak for Renee or RootsMagic as I'm just a user like yourself, but I can say that RootsMagic definitely doesn't support superscript/subscript in the same way as a full-blown text processor does.  It does provide you, as you obviously know, access the Microsoft Windows Character Map utility.  Those characters can only be used 'as is' for the Font you are using.  If suitable characters aren't available within the Character Map, then Microsoft does provide an option for you to design your own set of 'Private Characters' -  See http://windows.micro...q#1TC=windows-7 for more information.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#5 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

Thank you mjashby, I will look into the link you supplied. I hope it works (am using a Macbook pro, not sure if that will be an issue) and this has been very frustrating for me.

As an aside: The point I was trying to make to Renee was that when you are freeform typing in the "Research Notes", if you right click, you are able to select "Character Map", and within the character map, there is a section (subset) with options, & one of the options is "Superscripts and Subscripts", although the only numbers available are 0-3. I thought it was strange that a genealogical program did not allow for more super & subscript numbers as that is what we do - document which includes using super & subscript numbers :-)

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

What Renee is saying is correct in that RM doesn't support something like <sup> and </sup> tags in notes in the same way that it supports <b> and </b>; for bold and <i> and </i> for italics. Getting superscripted characters out of a character map is a totally different thing that supporting superscipts. Something like the <sup> and </sup> tags would allow any text whatsoever to be superscripted, just like in a full function word processing system. For example, the RM character map supports certain common symbols for fractions such as 1/4, but RM certainly doesn't support anything like a full blown equation editor for any math expression in the world.

Jerry

P.S. I wonder if the forum software will let me paste a real 1/4 character. Lets try it  --  ¼

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3492 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

Character Map supports:

- the ASCII character set comprised of codes 0–127(Codes 0–31 and 127 are non-printing control characters)

and

- the Extended ASCII or ISO Latin‑1 character set (technically called ISO-8859‑1) comprised of codes 128–255 (Codes 128–159 in the Latin‑1 set are non-printing control characters)

ONLY those 3 superscripts are supported

2015_12_14_211929.png

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

I understand what you all are saying. Guess I will put in a request in the "Wish List" for possible future enhancement of superscripts & subscripts within the program, if that is possible. Thank you all for taking the time to address my concerns. :-)

#9 Newbie-6

Newbie-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

I was looking for the same...  no results.

However, a cousin sent me his GEDCOM that was created in Family Tree Maker.

The imported GEDCOM has all the superscripts from 1 to 16.. Beautiful.

Sure wish RM for MAc had this feature and was less buggy.

Just saying...

Chas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: superscript, subscript, options