21 replies to this topic

#21 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

I have a couple questions/comments.  I use the name as it appears in the census in my citation but sometimes the name as it is written in the census is not what was indexed.  This happens frequently with Ancestry.com.  I put the name as it is written in the census in my citation but worry that someone looking at that citation will not then be able to find it in Ancestry.com since it is not how it was was indexed.  Any suggestions?

I would add that information on the Detail Text tab, so others will understand the issues with finding that record.

The second comment is for Roots Magic.  I have commented on this before but feel it deserves repeating again since it has not been addressed.  I put my transcriptions in the detail text but this does not print with the footnote in Publish Online.  Will the detail text ever print with the footnote in Publish Online?

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#22 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

I have a couple questions/comments.  I use the name as it appears in the census in my citation but sometimes the name as it is written in the census is not what was indexed.  This happens frequently with Ancestry.com.  I put the name as it is written in the census in my citation but worry that someone looking at that citation will not then be able to find it in Ancestry.com since it is not how it was was indexed.  Any suggestions?

Ancestry allows you to submit alternative spelling for names in the census index. If you provide that information then I believe the record can be found with either spelling.