7 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Create a Research log(s) if one hasn't already been created.

Create a ToDo.

Then, edit the ToDo and click on the Transfer to a research log button.

This transfers the ToDo as a Research Item to the chosen Research log.

Transfer the same ToDo to another Research log.

Repeat as needed until the ToDo has been transfered to all Research logs desired.

Retain the ToDo if it will be used again.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

I have a bunch of To-Do items for various types of records I like to check during certain time frames. I have all the wars and census years and can just select the ones I want for when the person lived. I will send them to research logs to just populate them with various searches I want to do.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 albrown

albrown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

Does something like this exist that allows me apply a checklist to large groups of people? I inherited a database from someone else and there are around 4,000 people that need checking (Are there duplicates in Family Search, Is this person on Find A Grave, Is there additional information available on Ancestry, Fold 3, etc.). I don't want to have a checklist in some other program (Excel, Word) and I certainly don't want to print anything. The process you described is useful, but I really don't want to go through it 4,000 times. 

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

Perhaps Color Coding?
Tools->Color Coding->People selected from a list->Mark group

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:22 PM

I would create a custom fact to track that information on people. Then you can create groups based on "codes" or key words you setup in the notes or descriptions. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 albrown

albrown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

Ooh, I figured out how to do that... very cool. 

Is there any way to give all 4,000 people the fact at once, or do I need to open each person up and add it one by one? Same question for that fact's note. 

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

No, a fact can not be added to multiple people at one time.

Looking at 4000 people that need checked and researched can be daunting. I would take it in smaller bits.

Perhaps, create a Group, Birth fact, exists is False.  I would then work on finding birth data for each person in that Group.  As I search for birth data, I will find data for other facts like marriage, death or burial.

Maybe, create Groups, Birth checked and Birth not found.  As you do the research, use QuickGroups to unmark the original Group and mark one of the other Groups.

Add the user defined fact to the person for other research that needs done as wanted. Enter keywords in the description and/or note that can be used in a search filter. Or create other Groups, Marriage needed, Death needed, Burial needed.

Or, maybe research people in a family group starting with the family line that is most closely related to you.

Or, a fact missing sources or a specific source if the database has sources.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Like Laura said facts are one at a time. But to make it go by faster I would use the People View. Customize the view to add that custom fact you created. Then sort on that column. You can work your way down through everyone to see who has the fact and doesn't. Then double click to open their Edit Person screen to add it.

Renee
RootsMagic