23 replies to this topic

#21 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

I've always felt that the narratives were just a starting point and that a lot of manual editing would be required to make it seem like it was written by a human to be read by a human.

#22 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

Just because "we've always done it this way" doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement. :) 

#23 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

However where a logical improvement can be identified and defined I believe it should be embraced by the programmers thereby minimizing the need post production work and generally increasing the quality of the report output for all.

Just because "we've always done it this way" doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement. :) 

The job of a programmer is to embrace rules that do exist and sorry to also quote myself there are things which can, and should, be improved with Narrative reports.

I program which minimizes post production time will always have the upper hand on other market offerings. I would say most genealogists have the end dream of producing a professional report of their efforts and any help the program can priovide in realizing that goal is beneficial.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#24 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

I program which minimizes post production time will always have the upper hand on other market offerings. I would say most genealogists have the end dream of producing a professional report of their efforts and any help the program can priovide in realizing that goal is beneficial.

Even though "Register Format" is extremely rigid & well defined, I feel that we are still some way from having a program that can pass the Turing Test for even this limited case,  It would be nice though.