10 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

I often create large narrative reports with a thousand or more individuals. This often includes many infants who died before their first birthday. Sadly, their status on these reports reads: "Died at the age of 0." If I don't edit this out, the reader of the report thinks I am an idiot. I mentioned this flaw before but no action was taken. Would it not take a minor programming effort to omit the age of death if the individual died before their first birthday?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

the reader of the report thinks I am an idiot.

I actually think it's pretty clear ...they didn't make it to 1 year old. I also believe anyone who really spends their time to ACTUALLY read YOUR li'l ol' genealogy report would be sophisticated, or at least engaged enough, to not think you're an idiot at all.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

I mentioned this flaw before but no action was taken. Would it not take a minor programming effort to omit the age of death if the individual died before their first birthday?

I remember this being out before and yes I would agree it would be a nice touch to report this more accurately without being to precise to be boring and clinical.

For your purposes and for now why not do a find and replace for "at the age of 0" and replace with "before their first birthday" or something to your liking.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

I try to avoid malaprops whenever possible. Thank goodness for MS Word that has a replace feature. 

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

For now you could customize the sentence template for those children's death fact and remove the < [person:Age]> so it doesn't show up.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

For now you could customize the sentence template for those children's death fact and remove the < [person:Age]> so it doesn't show up.

And if you are going to customize the sentence template for an individual child's death fact anyway, you could make it say anything you want. You don't even have to reference any variables such as [age]. So you could say "at the age of seven months" or "at the age of 7 months" or "before their first birthday" or anything else you might want to the sentence to say.

Jerry

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

I did a search on my database.

Death, exists, is true.
And, Death, age, is less than, 1

It returned 161 children.

I have decided that is few enough to return the age to my default death sentence and customize those 161 sentences for those children.  

I will not have to use search and replace in a word processor to replace those sentences later every time I output a Narrative report to be printed in a word processor.

I did come up with some standard customized sentences:

Died same day:
<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|[person:first] died the same day [Person:heshe] was born< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>|[person:first] has died>.

Died in same year with only a year for Birth and Death fact:

<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|[person:first] died the same year [Person:heshe] was born< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>|[person:first] has died>.

Died at Month, day age:

<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|[person:first] died< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]> at the age of # months # days|[person:first] has died>.

If I have a date with a modifier, I am deleting the age from the sentence.

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

From the RM6 Help file, under Sentence Template Language - Value Switches:

<? [Expression]| Show this if True. | Show this if False.>

I decided to try using this example to modify the Death Fact Type sentence:

[Person] died< [Desc]>< [Date]><? [Age]| [Person:Age]| before [Person:HisHer] first birthday>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Problem: It always returned the True result, because [Age] always has a value (that is, whenever both a Birth and Death date exist, even if they are the same date).

Then I tested whether I could use an algebraic expression: [Age]=0 or [Age]<1.

No. Neither of those constructs had any effect on the sentence output.

So, Laura's more complex approach of using locally customized sentences looks to be the best current solution.

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

When I put the main view on Timelime and started highlighting each child in the Group, I found that I had entered how long a child under a year old lived in many of the Death descriptions already.

I decided to continue doing it that way instead, so I copied my default sentence without the age and customized all the children's sentences with that sentence.

In my Fact Research log, Death Research Item, I entered the customized sentence and directions to enter lengths of children 'lives and any adult's age at death needed in the Description field. That will help me be more consistent in the future.

#10 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:08 AM

I'm really trying not to make this a complicated issue. The fix is simple within MS Word. I simply use the replace feature to change "...died at the age of 0" to <blank>. I just think the program should deal with the issue. The programming effort, as I see it, is a simple test for life span <1 year. If true, omit the "died at the age of"

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic