13 replies to this topic

#1 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

I sure miss the shortcuts in MacBridge -- especially the Option O that would close windows.   (If I'm remembering right.)

I didn't realize how much they sped up my work until they weren't in MacBridge.   I hope they will be added soon. 

That being said, I  L O V E  having an RM product that runs on my Mac!!!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

I don't believe Macs support short-cut keys.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:11 AM

I don't believe Macs support short-cut keys.

Not true. Macs have an extensive and easily modified short-cut key system. But the challenge will be how to apply that to MacBridge, if it is indeed possible with that application. Not an area that I have experience with - I just use a few of the supplied standard short-cuts in a few of the other applications I use. Perhaps an area in which I should try to experiment.

#4 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hm.   I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I think there is something to both of the previous comments.   Macs do have an extensive short-cut key system.  Generally a lot of them are parallel to the windows short cuts -- like command c vs control c for 'copy.' etc.   

I wonder if the issue is that the short cuts are somewhat different.    On the windows side, you have the menu items with an underlined character, which tips you off to a further short cut.   

That being said, I really miss otion /alt o shortcut,  option/alt p and quite a few others. 

#5 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

I've been using RM a lot in the past few days, and I sorely miss the  option o, option p, and a few other shortcuts.     Is it too early to guess if adding these is totally off the table?  

If it is off the table, I'm tempted to switch back to the Windows version.   Opening Fusion etc takes some time, but I think it is small compared to the time it takes to click on 'close,' 'paste,' etc. so many many many times.

I'll hang in there for a while...

Maybe it is too early to know what is possible.

Peggy

#6 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

Peggy

Here is something that might help, not as good as the real thing but..maybe better than mouse clicks?? These, at least for me, work using RM7 running under crossover. I hope I have chosen the right options you wanted to do. If not let me know what you wanted and I will see if I can work up something else.

for option/alt o > option control o
for (open file) option o > do a command f followed by a option o

for option/alt p > option control p
for (print) option p > do a command r followed by a option using the underscored letter for the type of report? I am hoping this is what you mean for option p.

for (close file) option close > do a command f followed by option l

to close the program > do a command f followed by option x

If the menu item has underlined items then you can bring up the menu item using command ?? then the underlined item character. This works some of the times and not others and there is a pattern to that but most of the time is not worth the effort.

Hope this is some help.. Hope no keying errors...
Roger

#7 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Peggy

Although I did find equivalents for many of the shortcuts by using the Cmd or Option keys  plus the shortcuts under MacBridge they didn't seem to work consistently depending on which window had the focus.

Like you I miss them greatly.

This, together with the too frequent (annoying but not fatal) invalid floating point  error messages eventually drove me back to RM under Parallels.

Lorna

#8 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

Thanks, Roger.

Here are the ones I use the most

Option o to close the Edit Person page

Option o to close the sources window

Option M to memorize a source

Option P to paste a source

Function f then command w closed the edit person page, and maybe the sources window.     Whew!

Doing Fuction f the command m, which I hoped would memorize, froze the program and I had to force quit.

Any ideas?

Peggy

#9 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

Peggy

Command o closed the person edit page for me.
Command o closed the Citation manager
Command m memorized the source
Command p pasted the source

Remember that I am not using MacBridge I am using RM7 running under Crossover which should be pretty close to to MacBridge without all of the problems.

Roger

#10 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

Just to follow up on this topic -- Using MacBridge

I can:

Use Command w to close the citation manager, close the edit person page, and close the entire program.

Once I have a citation memorized, I can use Commannd p to paste it.

I havent found a way, yet, to:

Memorize a citation.

Command M will simply minimize the window.

Any suggestions?

#11 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:33 AM

Peggy,

I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Like you, as I said earlier, I really miss several of the keyboard shortcuts under MacBridge

This, and the floating point error sent me back to running under parallels.

However I recently upgraded to Parallels10 and it is causing me problems in that it keeps losing the focus in the Windows environment, so I can't simply copy/check something on my Mac side (everything except a couple of genie programs) and then switch back to Windows be it RM or the other program, and keep typing

I have to click within the current window/sub window first, often having to move the mouse back to where it was.

Which I'm finding more of a pain than missing a few shortcuts, so am back using MacBridge to see how I go.

Have you experimented with Command + shift + the normal options you are used to?

CMD+Shift+S opens source, at which point CMD+Shift+M or+P work fine for memorize/paste and CMD+Shift+O shuts most windows.

The ones I was missing most were

a) Ctrl+C to bring up colour coding

If I use CMD+T to open the Tools menu and arrow down to colour code people the colour code window briefly flashes on the screen and is gone.

So you have to switch to click the menu item instead, which works fine, but is a pain (isn't it nice that our problems are so minor in the overall scheme of things)

Being prompted to experiment further, after having got so used to having my fingers go to cmd instead of ctrl for everything, I find that CTRL+C works

But it would be nice if the shortcuts were consistent between having to use CMD instead of CTRL !

B) Ctrl+F to bring up the person list

As I had adusted to using CMD instead of CTRL, I couldn't find a quick easy equivalent that works consistently.

CMD + anything much like shift/fn/ctrl/option mostly opens the file menu

You'd thinkg that CMD+S + enter (as the Person search menu item is highlighted) would do the trick, but no, that opens the edit person window for the person with the focus

Esc, does close it and bring up the person list, but WHY?

Sometimes I ended up in add parents or something instead!

However, a bit of experimentation, showed that Ctrl+F seems to work all along - I'd just, as above, got so used to substituting CMD for CTRL

c) with person open for edit Alt+G opened the manage groups menu

Alt+G doesn't work, but Cmd+G does

Which, I think, leaves me with the text selection shortcuts I'm used to ... and probably others, but these ones were driving me potty right now.

#12 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

Thank you, Lorna.   Very, very helpful!

Happy to have a shortcut for 'Memorize' again!   

Also happy to add Control+F and Command+G to the list of working shortcuts.

#13 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Now that I'm using your suggestions, Lorna, I am happy beyond words!!!   Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Peggy

#14 SharonHogenson

SharonHogenson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

This thread is a couple of years old, but in case someone new like me is looking I've decided to post anyway. To simplify things already said, I'm using Crossover and found the following (with the help of my programmer son): Command + underlined letter usually works. However, if the command is a general Mac command, (such as command + A to select all,) then command + underlined letter won't work. To use these already Mac specific commands use shift + Command + underlined letter. Every short cut I've tried works with one of these two processes.