• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gbswales

gbswales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

I have an ex-wife with whom I had my two children and a current spouse (civil partner).  I am trying to produce (eventually) a chart for my grandchildren that will show the entire family, including my current partner even though he is not a blood relative of anyone else in the tree. No matter which generation I start from, only my ex-wife appears as spouse.  I can switch so that I see my current partner but then he is shown as parent to my children and my ex-wife vanishes.  Is there a way to display first and second spouses in the same tree.

Also if I start the chart with my Grandson - his sibling is not shown.   Basically I want to be able to print a chart which shows everyone I have entered into the familty tree whether they are directly related or not.  But this is what I get.  I looking to produce something with photos that will help him make sense of the people he knows

family%20tree%202.jpg

I think this is a general rather than specific issue as I have tried to do the same thing in three other geneology programs with the same results - the closest I have got is the attached photo from another program ("My Family Tree") but even in this version none of the available reports will give the same view as the main screen window - however if I include my ex-wife's siblings then my second partner is not listed. 

familytree.jpg

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

If you do a descendant list, report or narrative it will show all of your "spouses" and children. The ancestor reports will only give you the direct line - so there is no way to show two or more "spouses".  

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 gbswales

gbswales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

If you do a descendant list, report or narrative it will show all of your "spouses" and children. The ancestor reports will only give you the direct line - so there is no way to show two or more "spouses".  

Thanks for that information -- if I were to go for the paid version would there be an option to print everything in the family tree - including unrelated branches?  I am looking to placer everyone through four generations in the same tree - there are several I havent entered as yet

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

By definition, unrelated branches are on some other tree(s) than your family tree. And no chart in RootsMagic shows everyone that is in the same tree unless it has been pruned to a very restricted range of shapes.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

I have found the Individual Summary Report will list all marriages and children of each marriage.  This works for me, can add footnotes and Bibliography and index.  :)

added does not display siblings.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

We are often asked for a report that will include everyone. It just doesn't exist in RootsMagic, maybe someday it will. Hard to find it in other programs too. There is a company "Family ChartMasters" that can print out everyone in your database for you. They are the company we use to print out Wall Charts for us. 

The other company that has software that will work with your RootsMagic database is Progency Charting Companion. They have an ancestor chart that contains siblings and a Trellis Chart that will contain everyone. You can look at their comparison here - http://progenygeneal...parison.aspx#TC . They have a free trial so you can test them out.

You could try in the paid version of RootsMagic to see if you could combine multiple wall charts together to get the same type of thing. But, be warned its a challenge!

Renee
RootsMagic