• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 csmatteson

csmatteson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

I am really just getting used to this software and have done some stupid things. 

For example, on my daughters spouse, I idiotically added her husband twice so she has the same spouse twice.  So, I tried going to the name list where he appeared twice and deleted one of them.  Both disappeared.  And now I have two blank spouse lines.  How do I get rid of them?  I cannot figure it out.  Sorry if this is obvious to everyone but me.

I added her husband back in.  But I assume I will have to reconnect him to his children, too?

Also, while we are on the subject of the same record appearing multiple times in the name list display.  Why is this happening and how do I get it to stop.  I only want to see everyone here one time, I think.  Don't I?  Is there some reason to want to see them multiple times?

Sorry for my novice status.  

I do have the book and am working through it.  But it is slow going.

Feel free to email me directly if you wish.

Thanks for your help.

Craig Matteson

craig@hrgems.com

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

Get the unnamed (blank) spouse on the screen with their partner

Highlight (click upon) their named spouse and choose from the Main Menus
Edit->Unlink->From Spouse

Or (even quicker) just right-click upon the named spouse and choose
Unlink->From Spouse

BTW, if you had
Tools->File Options->Number to display after name->Record Number(RIN)
You would see the SAME record number for both linkages of that spouse to your daughter and that would tell you not to delete him, but rather UNLINK one of the instances of pairing (linking) him to her.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Holm D T

Holm D T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

Also go to the webinars (http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/) online.  There is a lot of good information their.

#4 csmatteson

csmatteson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

Thanks, these comments have been most helpful.  

best,

Craig

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

If you have an alternate name fact for a person you will see it show up in the index list, so they appear more than once. There will be a blue+ sign next to their names when it is the alternate name for them. You if don't want the alternate names to show use the Options button or uncheck the box "Show alternate name" on those lists.

We have an excellent webinar that discusses linking issue and how to resolve them. 

40. Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spouse