2 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaT

DonnaT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

I doubt that anyone else has cared about this....I think its just me being picky...but here it goes...

I hate that I have to customize EACH sentence in the Alternate Name fact.   If the "Name Type" toggle is there and says "Nickname", why isn't it attached to a sentence then then states,  John Smith had the nickname John-John.   or when the "Married" name is specified in the "Name Type" area, why doesn't it say Elizabeth Doe went by the married name Elizabeth Smith as of 1836. (okay, in that one I added a date that would have been a marriage date...but they can be easy sentences).

I just look at the way that the program is now (RM5) and hate how I put in a 'Name Type" but still get the sentence.....Jonathan Doe was also known as John Dohe  instead of something like......In the 1860 sentence, Jonathan Doe was recorded as John Dohe.

Hmmmmm....that reminds me....how about toggling (Name Type) "census" and having it as another 'type' with its own customized sentence???  I mean, why not work on two things at the same time...custom sentences attached to a Name Type and new Name Types?  

While some people might think that this is a little heavy handed with recording every spelling, nickname, etc.  I find it useful because I can see various spellings of names and changes in the surname (for example).  It can show from generation to generation the way that a name is changed and can give people clues about how/why the last name evolved.  I noticed a specific time line in one of the family branches were the name spelling changed.  Some keeping the traditional spelling while others went with a different spelling.  Part of it being the result of the education and another part of it being the way that the name was documented during the civil war.

:-)

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

This is another much-requested improvement....

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic