#1 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

Renee,

When will you do a thorough review/comparison of RM7 and Legacy Family Tree 8? I can't seem to settle on which one to use as my primary genealogy management tool. I like RM and its simple and easy-to-use focus when developing new releases and features. Legacy, at times, seems to have stronger report features and their FamilySearch feature has more bells and whisltes. Personally I like to keep things simple and RM was the first to come out with Hints. Help me decide!

Ted

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Renee,

When will you do a thorough review/comparison of RM7 and Legacy Family Tree 8? I can't seem to settle on which one to use as my primary genealogy management tool. I like RM and its simple and easy-to-use focus when developing new releases and features. Legacy, at times, seems to have stronger report features and their FamilySearch feature has more bells and whisltes. Personally I like to keep things simple and RM was the first to come out with Hints. Help me decide!

Ted

I very much doubt Renee will do much a review, at least not on this forum. I try do do honest comparisons of the big 3 and their features mainly from a point of view of further development which benefits all users and will continue to do so.

Both programs have strengths and Legacy has caught up a little with Colour coding and Shared Events but does have some mind boggling menu options which can complicate things for some users.

I suppose it depends on time, RM7 came out same year as Legacy 8, Rootsmagic 7 seems to be recognized as being a little weak on new innovated features and long standing wishes with the current focus being on developing RM8. So for me it would depend very much on when RM8 comes to the table and what it contains in terms of wished for features.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

There is a very detailed checklist of features comparing RootsMagic, Legacy, Family Historian against The Master Genealogist at https://sites.google...te/tmgrefugees/ . However, contributions have come from different people for different software so there will undoubtedly be some subjective interpretations.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

I haven't done a comparison between RootsMagic and Legacy on Renee's Genealogy Blog in a very long time. One reason is because I've been busy. The other is the longer I am away from using Legacy the less I remember how to use it. I've hardly played with Legacy 8 at all to compare new features.  

Right now the biggest reason I couldn't use Legacy is their FamilySearch Tools and the lack of creating Groups based on custom facts. Well they call them tags. I depend on the two layers of filters on the FamilySearch Person Tools to manage my temple ordinance work. Legacy doesn't have a second filter so you can't select a group or people you tagged to work with. Legacy also won't let you tag a group of people based on a custom fact. Legacy also does not support Family Tree sources at all. So those limitation are too much for me. 

I wrote a little about it in my SLCC final project - http://rzamor1.blogs...-comparing.html

In that article I am comparing RootsMagic, Legacy and Ancestral Quest against each other. I just listed 5 of my must have features in a genealogy program and compared them against each other. The groups part is in section 3. 

I do plan on doing a YouTube series on my method of tracking temple ordinances in RootsMagic. Just have to get around to it. I'll put it on my blog once I do that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

I wrote a little about it in my SLCC final project - http://rzamor1.blogs...-comparing.html

I agree with you on what Legacy call the Home Tab and what I refer to as a Dashboard View, another productive conduit reporting and driving straight to areas needing attention. And I also note that the wish is noted in the tracking system.

http://forums.rootsm...t/?hl=dashboard

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

I wrote a little about it in my SLCC final project - http://rzamor1.blogs...-comparing.html

I remember reading Renee's excellent blog about her SLCC final project when she first posted it, but it was good to have a reminder to read it again. For all my occasional whining about certain aspects of RM, it does a large number of things extremely well and sometimes I'm afraid I forget all the good things it does. Having said that in a very heartfelt way, sometimes there are differences in perspective that can be most interesting.

In particular, I was struck by how much Renee likes RM's Edit Person screen because the Edit Person screen is so much like a spreadsheet. My reaction is that RM's Edit Person screen is one of my least favorite parts of RM because it's not like a spreadsheet at all. How could two such very different perspectives exist?

Well, the Edit Person screen certainly looks like a spreadsheet (looks like a duck, smells like a duck, must be a duck). But it doesn't act at all like a spreadsheet. I can't type into it. (That's the biggie).  I can't rearrange the columns. I can't just start typing into a new, blank row at the bottom and thereby add a new row. Etc.

Suppose Microsoft Excel worked like the following. There is an empty cell into which you want enter some data. But you can't just click on the cell and start typing. Instead, you have to click in the cell and a new window pop-ups into which you have to enter the data. And to add insult to injury, you are locked out of the rest of the spreadsheet until the pop-up window is completed and closed. That's the way RM's Edit Person screen feels to me. It's really rigid, inhibiting, and clicky. Plus, you can't see much of what you really need to see in any kind of easy way, such as your sources and your media files.

So what about the following. What if the Edit Screen's spreadsheet were bigger - both the screen space it occupies and the fonts. What if there were always a blank row at the bottom into which you could type a new fact. It would fill in as you type - for example, type B and then I into the fact type column and it should say Birth, at which time you could tab to the next column.

If you single clicked the Note box (the Note box with or without a green checkmark), a non-modal window would open off to the side containing the note (or an empty window if there is no green checkmark). The non-modal Notes window would not lock you out of the rest of the Edit Person screen, and you could type directly into it. You could resize it as necessary, and the resizing would be remembered.

If you single clicked the Sources box (a Sources box with our without a green checkmark), a non-modal window would open off to the side containing a list of the citations for that fact. The non-modal Sources window would not lock you out of the rest of the Edit Person screen, You could resize it as necessary, and the resizing would be remembered. You could sort the Sources window by any column by clicking the top of the column, and the sorting you choose would be remembered.

The sources window would include a narrow column which would be blank or would contain a green checkmark to indicate that media existed for the citation or its master source (or better yet, there would be two narrow columns, one with or without a green checkmark for media for the Master Source and the other with or without a green checkmark for media for the citation). Single clicking one of the media boxes would open a non-modal window that would not lock you out where you could see and the edit the media information.

And back on the original spreadsheet, the existing narrow column for media which does or does not have a green check mark for media would work exactly the same as the way I described media working under sources.

So in summary, I think the Edit Person screen is not at all like a spreadsheet, and could benefit hugely from being made to be much more like a spreadsheet than it is. The duck really does need to be a duck.   :)

Jerry

#7 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

This is all good stuff. And one other spread sheet feature which I don't think you mentioned is the ability to "select" contents; i.e. to use the top of column "Filter" feature to show or hide specific sorts of records (eg Census). I think this has been mentioned in other posts.

MVS.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Jerry, your right it doesn't behave like a spreadsheet at all, but it looks more like one than not. I was going more for the visual not the mechanics of it. I am confirming your enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

I just watched the "Whats New in Legacy 8" video again and shamefully most of the new features are follow ons from RM implimentations so there is no copyright on logical thinking :rolleyes:

One thing I must point out that exceeded RM's original thinking is on Shared Events. When choosing the Sharees Legacy 8 presents you with two panes, the main index of people and a second pane which displays Immediate relatives including parents, siblings, spouses and children making the selection operation a lot faster in the majority of cases, something RM could learn from.

Renee, on the subject of selecting sharees, could you confirm that the non functional dob sorting in the Select People window is noted in the tracking system as an issue?

Root

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

One thing I must point out that exceeded RM's original thinking is on Shared Events. When choosing the Sharees Legacy 8 presents you with two panes, the main index of people and a second pane which displays Immediate relatives including parents, siblings, spouses and children making the selection operation a lot faster in the majority of cases, something RM could learn from.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee, on the subject of selecting sharees, could you confirm that the non functional dob sorting in the Select People window is noted in the tracking system as an issue?

Vyger, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Describe that issue better for me please.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

Renee, what about the sort issue which further hinders the selection of the correct person?

Root

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about either, Jackson. There is no dob sorting feature in RootsMagic Explorer so how can something that does not exist be non-functional?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

There is no dob sorting feature in RootsMagic Explorer so how can something that does not exist be non-functional?

If they managed it in type written manuscripts then not achieving today it is non-functional, spot the difference......

spotthedifference.png

Root

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

When time allows I intend to publish a list of outstanding bugs and problems which are running from version to version.

So I can be fair to Rootsmagic it would be nice if someone could confirm if this Select People sort problem has been resolved in Rootsmagic 7?

Root

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

If they managed it in type written manuscripts then not achieving today it is non-functional, spot the difference......

spotthedifference.png

A picture is worth... So the problem is the absence of a sub-sort of identical names by the Birth Year in Select People which is inconsistent with RootsMagic Explorer and the Sidebar Index.

#16 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

So the problem is the absence of a sub-sort of identical names by the Birth Year in Select People which is inconsistent with RootsMagic Explorer and the Sidebar Index.

Correct, this is a miss in the coding in my opinion and not an ENHANCEMENT request, the select people list is less than useful as is.

A picture is worth...

That makes a video priceless....

Root

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Confirming issue is noted in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic