• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wlmorrison

wlmorrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

I have begun to use my newest update of RootMagic 7 and right away I have a problem. I like to generate narritive family histories for my cousins. I do this by selecting Narritive reports and then one of the choices in the Descendants format. I normally just use the defaults so there is nothing to report there. Once I generate the report I like to save it in RTF format so that I can edit the report (sort of clean it up). I have been doing this for years and now much to my chagrin I only get the last page of the report in my saved format. A 22 page report ends up as being just one page - the last one.

What is up with that?

I need help.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

Are you seeing all 22 pages in the RootsMagic Report Preview?

With what software are you opening the RTF file? Has there been any change with that software from what you were using before?

Perhaps you need to uninstall RootsMagic and reinstall it. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 djc

djc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

I downloaded Rootsmagic 7 with macbridge

I am having the same problem when creating a report.  When I try saving a report that might be 70 pages long to rtf, it will only save a couple of pages and comes up on crossovers little word pad.  I have no reference of MacBridge anywhere.  It keeps wanting to use CrossOver.

I have a MAC 

OS X Yosemite

version 10.10.2

Debbie

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:07 PM

You will need the Mac version of Microsoft Word to open the RTF file on your Mac.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 djc

djc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

I have the MAC version of Microsoft Word.  The problem is that the whole file will not save to rtf.  I had one that was 22 pages and it only saved 2 pages.

#6 wlmorrison

wlmorrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

Okay folks a little source of qualifictions: I have been in the computer industry since 1969. I have designed, writtten and implemented thousands of software products, at one time I programmed in 19 different languages, I am very familiar with the architectures of at least twelve different operating sysytems, I use on a daily basis three different word processing applications (WordPerfect, Word and OpenOffice Writer) all of which accept RTF documents. None of these applications received a proper formatted RTF document out of RootsMagic.

Is there someone who has been responding to this request doing anything about the problem of an improper formatted document? And what is this about reinstalling the RootsMagic Software? That sort of requirement went out with DOS (it has been that many years since I have heard of that solution).

I am sorry but solutions to problems should first isolate the problem, look at the code generating the desired results, make corrections and get a fix in place as quickly as possible. There is a problem here. And I venture to say it is not in some checklist.

I have spent many, many, years promoting this product to many hundreds of people around the country. I would hate to see all of that effort go by the wayside because no one is around to pay attention to solving a very simple problem.

William Morrison

President and CEO of The Mentor Group, Ltd.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

Is there someone who has been responding to this request doing anything about the problem of an improper formatted document? And what is this about reinstalling the RootsMagic Software? That sort of requirement went out with DOS (it has been that many years since I have heard of that solution).

Your response is abhorrent! This is a forum of users helping users. Your qualifications mean nothing and may result in shame when the answer is revealed. Get with the program if you want help from folks here. You can start by answering the first question posed to you in response. Do it now and get the help you obviously need!

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:53 AM

I have the MAC version of Microsoft Word.  The problem is that the whole file will not save to rtf.  I had one that was 22 pages and it only saved 2 pages.

There would appear to be more to this than meets the eye. I've just tried this with MacBridge 7 and the result is that I see a full set of pages in both Word and the Wine Wordpad pop-up window that appears as a result of the RTF save.

Exactly the same happens under the full CrossOver product.

This is all at RM 7.0.4.0 and the very latest Yosemite 10.10.2 and Office for Mac 2011 14.4.8.

So, this is not a universal problem.

#9 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

Your response is abhorrent! This is a forum of users helping users. Your qualifications mean nothing and may result in shame when the answer is revealed. Get with the program if you want help from folks here. You can start by answering the first question posed to you in response. Do it now and get the help you obviously need!

Wish the moderators would activate the like button. LIKE

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

The RTF file format was created by Microsoft Word and that is the only program the formatting should be maintained properly. You are using a Windows based program (RootsMagic) with a Windows based word processor (Microsoft Word). Both might be having an issue in the Mac world since that was not where it was originally designed to run. If the RTF is not working in Word on your Mac you may want to check the Mac forums to see if others are having the same issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 djc

djc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

I give up.  I took off every thing that I could find that was crossover, rm 6, rm 7, macbridge 7, restarted the computer.  Re-downloaded MacBridge, didn't ask me for key.  Tried everything again and back to the wine wordpad.  

I have microsoft 2011 for MAC verson 14.4.8

OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

Rootsmagic 7 version 7.0.4.0

I feel like a dummy but I have used RM  for years without a problem.

#12 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

Tried everything again and back to the wine wordpad.

What do you mean? Did the wine word pad window come up before or after you were prompted to name the RTF file and select where to save it?

In my case, admittedly with only a 12-14 page document, the wordpad window allowed me to scroll down the file and there seemed to be the appropriate number of pages. Similarly, when I used Word to open the file from the Reports folder pointed to by the Folder Options, then the whole of the file was there.

In your case, how much of the file does the wordpad window show? Is what Word shows different? Have you tried selecting some other starting person for your report and maybe limiting the number of generations to see whether you can get a complete but shorter report, perhaps suggesting that there is something specific somewhere in your data that is casuing this funny. What about other report types?

#13 djc

djc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

I took everything off.  Banged my head against the wall a dozen times, and re-downloaded everything 5 or 6 times and guess what??????

I GOT IT TO WORK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Don't know what I did but now it works like it did last week.