I find it very hard to make a gedcom file using RM. I go to file, choose export and I am given only 2 options: everyone in the database or select individuals. I wish to make a gedcom file of about 5,000 descendants of an individual but not the 8,000 in the database. I don't want to spend days of time selecting individuals. I wish the option to choose "descendants of an individual" or "ancestors of an individual" were on the menu. This is frustrating. PAF had those options and made making a gedcom so much easier.
Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:09 AM
I believe you can do this. At least, I've done it many times. In RM6 you "Select From List" -> "Mark group" -> "Descendants of highlighted person". I assume RM7 works the same.
Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:17 PM
The exact sequence of actions is as follows.
- People to Export->Select from List
- You are in the Select People dialog. Find the ancestor you wish to use and highlight him or her. You don't have to scroll down the list. You can just type the name - last name then a comma then a space then the first name.
- Mark Group->Descendants of highlighted person
- Pick Descendants and Spouses and set a large number for the number of generations, and then click Ok
- Click Ok again in the lower right corner of the window to tell RM the marking process is done.
- Click OK again in the lower right hand corner to initiate the export process. You may or may not want to change some of the options before this particular OK
- Put in a file name and click Save. Before clicking Save, make note of the folder in which your GEDCOM file will be saved. Also, you might or might not want to pick a different folder before clicking Save.
- A progress window will appear where you can see the progress, and when the progress window disappears you are done.
Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:11 PM
I wish to make a gedcom file of about 5,000 descendants of an individual but not the 8,000 in the database. I don't want to spend days of time selecting individuals. I wish the option to choose "descendants of an individual" or "ancestors of an individual" were on the menu. This is frustrating. PAF had those options and made making a gedcom so much easier.
As Jerry has clearly explained, this option exists but do remember once you have MARKED the descendants you can then fine tune by UNMARKing through selecting data criteria line Surname = "Jones" or Birth is After or whateven your needs are. This will lessen your list exclusing those descendants you don't want included, that choice is yours to define and you can UNMARK several times if you wish.
Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.
User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5
Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:15 PM
I do any fine tuning by editing the Group.
When I am ready to export the gedcom, I select the Group to export from the People to export dropdown menu on the Export gedcom screen.
Ehen typing the surname then the given name to go to a person in a list, it isn't necrssary to type a space after the comma. And, you only have to type as muxh of the surname as will take you to that surname on the list and then type the comma and as much of the given name as you need to take you to the person you want.