8 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaT

DonnaT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

I'm wondering how people handle placing historical facts into each individual's timeline.  I know that there are probably ways to download such things, but in my case I have a very specific use and was trying to figure out how to accomplish it.

I have a family timeline that coincides with the creation of a new county, the incorporation of towns, the start up of railroads, construction of the courthouse, etc., etc.    I WANT to create a fact that would allow me to place the piece of history (country, state, county, or even city history) into the people who were alive during that time period.   I understand that I need to make my sentence structure broad and that I can select many people from my database to share a given piece of history that I place into the database, but I'm wondering how everyone else would handle accomplishing this.  

I was hopeful to have something simple print out like:

In 1818, Westminster was incorporated

or possibly:   In 1818, Westminster was incorporated and Jacob was living in the county during this time period.

keep in mind that some of the history might be of a completely different topic like:

On June 30  1863, Union troops encamped at Union Mills and confederate cavalry had also stopped in this location on the same day while on their way to Pennsylvania.

or

In 1872, a smallpox outbreak was in __________.

or

In 1904 the Great Fire of Baltimore occurred.

Obviously I can use a lot of the description area and will need to use the date area.  I know that something as simple as:

In [date], [desc] [place:In] which happened during the lifetime of [thisPerson].  

should work, but I know that many of you have FAR better ideas to make this work......for example, would you put a 'fake' person into the database (maybe calling that person "History Carroll Co MD"  or something like that) and input all the facts under that person....then share those facts (with the source documented) to all the people who lived in that location during that time period????

Is there an easier way?   

Is there something I am not aware of that already exists and will accomplish this task?

I'm not sure that it makes a difference, but I'm running RootsMagic 5. 

Thank you in advance for any ideas and/or advice.

-Donna

#2 lmsalgado

lmsalgado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

I'm not sure de family tree is the best place to input general history facts, such repeating data in several people can get a mess very easily.

Perhaps it would be better to use other software like "Personal Historian" (also from RootsMagic), you can find the free version here: http://rootsmagic.co...onal-Historian/

In this software you can had several layers of timelines with history facts along with your family.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

I would not put a lot of redundant general interest place history, etc. in a person's record unless I put it in a user defined fact and marked the fact as Private and not print it.

I would only put what was of specific interest for that person in their record. For example, He fought at the Battle of Pea Ridge in Arkansas in the Military fact note. Or, he lived in County, State when it was formed in 1899.

I might add your fact and sentence to the person's record, but the full history would not be put into that fact note if it was going to be added to multiple people..

I would use Publisher to add an Appendix of the history of the Battle of Pea Ridge or the history of the forming of a county to a report. Set up the reports you wish in Publisher. Insert Text pages with the Appendix data entered into the Text page as the last pages in the book.

Create a Research log for Appendixes. Research Items are each Appendix with the data entered in the Research Item. Copy the data and paste it
If you create a To Do for the Research Item, you can transfer the To Do into the Text page in Publisher.

Or set up a Research log of Appendixes for each family line.
to more than one Research log. So you could transfer the Research item for the Appendix to the Appendix research log and to an individual's Research log.

The data in the Appendix would then be available from the person's Edit person, Research log for reference or to copy.

Research logs takes care of my need for the data for reference and Publisher takes care of sharing the data with someone else without having it printed over and over in multiple persons records.

Before Publisher, I used to do it this way:

Create dummy persons, for example:

Appendix - Sharp County, Arkansas history
Appendix - 14th Infantry, Union Army history

Enter the history in General note for the person or in the note of a user defined fact.

For a Narrative report, link the Appendix person as the last child of the beginning person for the report. The Appendix will print at the bottom of the report as the last child.

For a Family Group Sheet, link the Appendix person as the last child of the couple.

#4 DonnaT

DonnaT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

Thanks lmsalgdo for the input.  I do have "Personal Historian" and its a great idea to use that.  I know that many of the facts in Person Historian are great to use and would be wonderful when doing a larger group of people.  I will keep that idea in mind.  At this point, I'm not sure that I'm ready to add my database into person historian....I'll have to play with that.

Laura, believe it or not, I have never used my Research Logs.  I use my to do list, work off that, make notes on them if I need notes, but basically, I've never done the research log because I doubt that I'd ever think of looking at them.  So, because I NEVER used them....I am intrigued with how they work and how you use them.  Would love to know more about your usage of them....

Thanks to both of you for your input.  I do appreciate the time that you took to answer me.

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

Long ago I had suggested an improvement to RM to print to print an additional Appendix for reports consisting of Place Notes for those places referenced in the narrative report.  Bruce did add my request for an Index of Place Names actually referenced in a given report. [Thanks Bruce]  But I think that Place Note needs a checkmark flag of Yes/No in the Place database file to indicate whether or not to print the Note.  Or maybe just enclose the entire note in curly brackets {}.  The advantage of this scheme would be to just have one copy of a given Place Note in a narrative report no matter if there was one reference or 100 references to a given Place that had an attached note.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

When Research logs were added to RM, I got a non-lineage database within my lineage database which would be saved within my database.

I can create Research logs for anything that is useful for me. And, I can ignore the box labels for research items as I need to.

Besides using Research logs as a research tracking system, I have a Research log for genealogy research materials in my personal library, a Research log for facts with the changes I have made to the default sentences in the fact's Research Item, a Research log of Search criteria for specific purposes, etc.

I have a separate database for general research. I am slowly transferring data from that database into Research logs in my main database.

#7 lmsalgado

lmsalgado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:17 AM

Laura: that is a very interesting use for the Research Log, Thanks for sharing, I may use that idea myself.

And maybe gedcom should have a standard “trivia” fact type  :)

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

"And maybe gedcom should have a standard “trivia” fact type"

Wouldn't that be the Miscellaneous fact type?

#9 lmsalgado

lmsalgado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

"And maybe gedcom should have a standard “trivia” fact type"

Wouldn't that be the Miscellaneous fact type?

:D Of course you are right! And I use it for trivia too.

But then again, I use it also for general notes, and before RootsMagic I used it for doubts, clues, alerts.... so it usually gets to messy to be useful in reports. That's why a Trivia (there must be a better name) standard field would be nice.

Of course we can always make a custom field (and deal with cross-platform issues) :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History, Historical, Facts, Sentence, creating