12 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen G-F

Stephen G-F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

It's my understanding and experience that RM7 doesn't allow PDF's as media items. Am I right about this or have I missed something somewhere? Single documents such as vital records are fine as JPEG's but if one has a multi-page document such as a 10 page will, it's a problem. I can scan such a will as a multi-page PDF (which I do to create a digital archive of all my family history documents) and would like to add this to Roots as a media item against that fact but don't seem to be able to do so. I don't really want to add 10 separate JPEG's as a media item for one document. I'd welcome comments/thoughts on this; thanks in advance. 

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

You can add any type of file as a media item under the "File" type but only JPG, png, and a few other types under the "Image" type. And only "Image" types will print in RM reports. If you add an item under the "File" type, when you 'open' it in RM, it will be opened by the Windows default program associated with that file type, e.g., Adobe Reader for your PDF. When you open/edit an item under the "Image" type, RM will use its own image viewer/editor. Because the RM image viewer/editor is so limited, there are folk who add image-type files under the "Files" category so that a more useful image editor is opened.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

You can add any type of file as a media item under the "File" type but only JPG, png, and a few other types under the "Image" type. And only "Image" types will print in RM reports. 

Absolutely correct.

You might tend to think that RM's ability to print only "image" file types is a serious limitation, but in practice it usually is no limitation at all. Which is to say, the only files that you usually will want to print from within RM will be photographs of people and sometimes maybe of places. You usually will not wish to print photocopies of documents from within RM. Therefore, linking PDF files which are photocopies of documents into RM as files is usually no limitation at all, and it allows you to link a single file into RM where the single file contains images of multiple pages.

Well, another limitation for some users is that files linked into RM as "files" don't have a thumbnail in RM. I don't regard this is a limitation because I find thumbnails for photocopies of documents to be pretty useless anyway. I always change the view in RM's Media Gallery to list file names rather than to list thumbnails. But many RM users prefer the thumbnail display, so I wanted to alert you this this difference in linking documents into RM as "images" vs. linking them into RM as "files".

Jerry

#4 Stephen G-F

Stephen G-F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Guys, much appreciated. I've just tried this and it works a treat. Stephen.

#5 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

OK,  I don't want rootsmagic to PRINT my pdf files, and I don't need pdf files to open IN rootsmagic.  I just need Rootsmagic web sites to include both links to the pdf files and the pdf files, or else display them in the same table in which it displays images, so that if you click on the thumbnail the file opens.  Mind, I don't care HOW it opens, I need people to be able to view the pdf file!   

I don't know what "this" the guy above "tried", but my web page didn't have a link or a thumbnail to the pdf files!

#6 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:40 AM

Just a footnote:- the UK GRO has started supplying 19th century Birth and Death certificates as pdf files, and I guess some will want them to print in reports? That said the layout is not ideal with a lot of 'white space' so it may just be worth 'clipping' the info an saving as an 'image file'?

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1480 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:45 AM

Do a web search for "Convert PDF to PNG" and you'll find ther are a number of free sites that will do this for you.

Sfter I've done the conversion, I attach BOTH the PDF and PNG files to the Master Source or Source Citation, but only attach the PNG to the person or fact.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

Do a web search for "Convert PDF to PNG" and you'll find ther are a number of free sites that will do this for you.

Sfter I've done the conversion, I attach BOTH the PDF and PNG files to the Master Source or Source Citation, but only attach the PNG to the person or fact.

I follow a very similar approach because PDF files generally speaking don't play well with browsers.

This is interesting because many Web sites do display PDF files quite well. For a personal example, nearly all my financial institutions such as banks allow you to download their statements as PDF,'s and more importantly you can look at the PDF's directly on their Web site without actually having to download them. But it is their site that is displaying the PDF for you somehow or other. It's not the browser, per se. I don't know how the technology is working behind the scenes.

Perhaps browsers will someday support PDF's just as fluently as they do JPG's and PNG's, but today they do not.

Jerry

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

PDFs can't be treated as images, but you could upload them somewhere and link to them using the WebTags on the Person level. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:45 PM

I don't think anyone has directly answered Dora's basic question which I paraphrase as "How do I get PDF files to be accessible on a website generated by RootsMagic?". I haven't done one in years but I think the short answer is that despite the ability to tag a PDF or other non-image file type to a person, couple, event, source, place in the RootsMagic app, only image file types are supported by its Publish Online service (and, I think, by its deprecated HTML and JavaScript website generators).

Renee has suggested perhaps the only workaround, assuming that Publish Online includes WebTags. Upload non-image files to an online host, e.g., Google Drive et al, create the WebTag and then Publish Online. Of course, this is a logistical nightmare because there is no relationship between the RootsMagic Media Gallery (which cannot manage a non-local file) and the WebTag. One could place the (non-image or all) media files in the local folder(s) of Google Drive for auto upload to the Google server but the retrieval of the URL and creation of WebTag for each file has to be one at a time. That may be okay for a small number of files.

Jerry, as a power user of GedSite, does it support non-image media files linked from the very thing to which it is tagged in RootsMagic? The GEDCOM points to the files, regardless of type. Perhaps Dora should consider a more versatile website generator such as GedSite.

Some browsers do render PDFs natively (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, ...); that's the majority of users. See PDF Reader vs. Browser: Which PDF Viewer Is Best for You?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

Jerry, as a power user of GedSite, does it support non-image media files linked from the very thing to which it is tagged in RootsMagic? The GEDCOM points to the files, regardless of type. Perhaps Dora should consider a more versatile website generator such as GedSite.

GedSite can "link" to any file for which it imports a link in a GEDCOM, no matter its file type or suitability for display by browsers. GedSite also appears to pay no attention to whether you linked a file into RM as an image or as a file. The nature of how GedSite links to files can vary depending on the nature of the file and depending on some options in GedSite.

Generally speaking, for each kind of "object" in Gedsite, you can specify to Ignore, Embed, or Link to files which GedSite finds in the GEDCOM, where "objects" are such things a Person, a Tag (a Fact Type in RM), a Citation (a Source Detail in RM), a Source (a Master Source in RM), or a Place. I'm presently linking a lot of media files to facts in RM so the media files will show up along with the facts in GedSite. Such linking doesn't do anything at all for reporting in RM itself.

GedSite's Ignore option simply allows you to include your files in your RM GEDCOM and then somewhat selectively to ignore the files in GedSite. Of course, if you don't include your files in your RM GEDCOM, there is nothing for GedSite to do with the files and the options you specify in GedSite don't matter.

With GedSite's Embed option, GedSite handles image and text files in one way and it handles all other files in a different way. For text and image files, it creates a thumbnail and the thumbnail links you to an HTML page created by GedSite which contains the text or image file as an embedded image. For everything else, Gedsite creates an icon which links to the file, and the file is handled in whatever way the browser handles it.

With GedSite's link option, GedSite handles image and text files in one way and it handles all other files in a different way. For text and image files, it creates a camera icon instead of a thumbnail and the icon it creates  links you to an HTML page created by GedSite which contains the text or image file as an embedded image. So it's still sort of an "embed" rather than a true link, only without the thumbnail. For everything else, Gedsite creates an icon which links to the file, and the file is handled in whatever way the browser handles it. So for other files types, there is no difference between GedSite's Embed and the Link options. It really links in both cases, and indeed it has no other choice.

I think we have been through this PDF business before and I have confessed the error of my ways before, so let me do it again. It appears that contrary to what I have sometimes said, all modern browsers handle PDF files quite gracefully by somehow or other opening them in your local PDF viewer. The browsers do not seem to be displaying the PDF files internally because the files are appearing in my default PDF viewer which is not from Adobe. But the process of displaying the PDF files is completely automatic and seamless, and it doesn't ask me any silly questions about what to do with PDF files.

For other non-image and non-text files, all the modern browsers I tested seem to handle the files somehow or other. To wit, they all download the file for you - sometimes automatically and sometimes via dialogs with you. In some cases they will then open the default program for you automatically, and in other cases you will have to open the default program yourself. For example, I sometimes use EML files as sources. They are email files, and the EML format retains all the original formatting and attachments. On my computer, EML files open in Mozilla Thunderbird. On your computer, EML files may open in some other program or not at all. But in any case, GedSite created links to the EML files just fine, and I was able to get to the EML files on my web site created with GedSite with all the browsers I tested. It was easy with some browsers and not so easy with other browsers. I have a variety of other file types that I sometime use as sources and they all work with GedSite and browsers as I have described for EML files.

I have tested with Chrome, Firefox, the Avast Secure browser, and with Edge. Some of the testing results are somewhat different if my HTML files are local vs. having been published on the Web. All the results I described above were from HTML files that had been published on the Web.

Jerry

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:45 PM

Jerry, if your browsers open an external PDF reader in another window, it must be because of settings you've made or plugins you've added. My Chrome, Edge and Firefox all display pdf within the browser window just as they do images that you right-click and open in the same or a new browser tab or window. Maybe the reverse is the case... Have I added a pdf reader plugin to my browsers? There's no question about Edge; it is Windows 10's default pdf viewer for local pdf files as well as its web browser.

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

After carefully double checking (again!) it's apparent I was misinterpreting what I was looking at. All four browsers I tested actually were displaying the PDF's natively. My bad. It's hard to describe, but there are some things on the screen that are a little confusing, but I should have been able to figure it out much sooner.

Jerry