• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DaveS

DaveS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

I have FTM 8.0 in old Windows 98 computer. How to import it into Roots Magic 6 on computer with Windows 7. Bought Roots Magic 6 in 2014 and haven't installed it yet.

Both computers have USB. Would like to use a USB Flash Drive if possible.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Based on a web search, it appears to me that FTM 8.0 was released in 2000, so you should be able to do a direct import of your *.FTM file into RM 6. Use the File - Import - FTM (2006 and earlier) choice.

I have imported files from FTM 6.0 on several occasions, and can report that since FTM and RM implement some portions of the GEDCOM standard differently, it wasn't as simple a process as I'd have hoped for ....

Import the FTM file into a new, blank RM database. Then examine the Source, Fact and Place lists carefully. I also found and merged some duplicate individuals. I spent several hours revising the latest file that I did this with, but when I then created Reports - Publisher output (saved to PDF and then hardcopy printed for my correspondent), the 220+ page file looked really good, and got rave reviews from my correspondent.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Copy the FTM database file on the old computer to the flash drive. I would do a gedcom of the FTM database and copy it to the flash drive also just as a backup.

Copy the files from the flash drive to the new computer.

Do the same for any media files or other data files you wish to retain.

When I am saving all the data files on a computer, I copy entire data folders to the flash drive.

#4 DaveS

DaveS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thank you for the reply.

I will have to see if my grandkids or adult son can help me with this.

Had read that Gedcom wasn't a good way to go. Would doing a backup of FTM onto a flash drive work?

Is there a way to get a normal copy of FTM on a flash drive that Roots Magic would directly import?

I'm not good at doing this kind of computer work.

DaveS

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

DaveS,

I've used computers at home & work since the mid-1980's, and I'd describe your task as rather simple. It may be a great idea to get some help from someone else. I've been called on to assist family and friends on plenty of occasions, and it sounds like you have good helpers available.

As Laura pointed out, from your old computer, copy everything that related to your FTM database onto a USB drive. There may be several folders holding *.FTM (the Family Tree Maker files), *.FBK (backup files), and images or other research info. If your old work is already organized into folders (called directories in early computer usage), then copy the whole group of folders.

Now, go to the new computer, and decide on a location for your genealogy files. It seems a common recommendation on this forum for you to create a root-level folder (ask your helper if that like gobbled gook) into which you paste all that work you previously copied to your USB drive.

In this root-level folder you'll want subfolders for: data, backup, multimedia, GEDCOM, and report files.

Open RootsMagic, go to the Tools - Program Options - Folders screen, and set up the folders where your work is stored. Some newbies don't realize that RM does NOT create those folders for you, so make sure they were created before opening RM.

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Dusting off some cobwebs from my memory, I believe that the first edition of Win98 did not support USB flash drives. You had to have an "improved" Win98 to support USB drives. There might be an issue with driver support for newer flash drives. How big is this FTM dadabase?

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:26 PM

Just quickly from Don's answer, I do remember Win98 SE (second edition) and if memory serves USB support was enhanced in that release.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Did RootsMagic 1, 2, or 3 run on Win98? Do they import FTM 8? If so, maybe downloading RM 1, 2, or 3 and installing it on the Win98 computer could be a first step. Import FTM 8 database into RM1-3. Backup the RM1-3 database. Transfer it via network or portable media to the Win 7 computer. Unzip the backup. Import into RM7.

I have no idea where the media items are in FTM 8; were they embedded in the database or external? They will have to be made into files somehow and also transferred and relinked. Maybe it is best to get the FTM database and media transferred directly to the Win 7 computer and import directly to RM7. But there may have to be a step in there in FTM that converts internal media to external first. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218

Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers

http://www.technical...age-drivers.php

UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 2.1a

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

Another problem I have seen with flash drives between old computers is the USB port themselves. Most older computers have USB 1.0 ports. The newer flash drives that run USB 3.0 will only go back to 2.0 so they won't be recognized on computers with USB 1.0 ports.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 DaveS

DaveS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

I want to thank everyone that sent tips on my question. My son was able to load Family Tree Maker (Non Gedcom) into

a USB Flash Drive. Attach it to my Windows 7 computer, told Roots Magic where it was located and it pulled it right into the

program. I have the Roots Magic Instructions Book so I have a lot of learning to do.

Dave

#12 Londeree

Londeree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

About one year ago I imported my very large database via GEDCOM from FTM 2012 to RootsMagic6.  There were several issues so I put it aside.  I've been having serious (!!!!) issues with capacity with my FTM 2012.  I had no option, so I made the switch about 6-8 weeks ago.  There were two serious issues with the import: ID numbers and GIS coordinates did not survive the import. 

The ID numbers are important because they align with my website database.  Various search engines use the ID numbers in their urls.  Therefore all indexing is sending users to incorrect locations in my website database.  I estimate (I hope) that it will take 3-6 months for the search engines to fully index the new information.  Hopefully this issue will correct itself over time.  In the meantime, I hope that users will have the patience and where-with-all to go to the home page and search from there.

I tried to have RootsMagic6 generate the appropriate GIS coordinates.  It worked for about one-half of the locations.  I have used local, county, state/province, country or equivalents as my location format.  RootsMagic6  does not recognize counties in Canada.  I used "Parish" in my Louisiana locations.  RootsMagic6 doesn't recognize the term "Parish."  I spent 10-11 days full time manually transferring the GIS coordinate information from my FTM 2012 database.

Probably a smarter person could have done this import more efficiently.  However, it is done and I will have to live with it.

Overall my experience with RootsMagic6 has been great.  Number one, I don't have a capacity issue anymore.  I am getting used to the ins and outs of the program.  I am comfortable with the program.  I like it!

Ben Londeree